Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Nikon AF300mm f/4 ED-IF or Nikon AF180mm f/2.8D ED-IF?

I'm thinking of buying a longer lens so i can do sports photography and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two lenses.What im wondering is if it would be smarter to buy the 180mm lens because its faster and just add a 2x teleconverter to it whenever i need a bit more power or should i get the 300mm lens because it will be faster than the 180mm lens with a teleconverter.I'm interested in bird photography and sports photography like baseball and football so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. FYI i use a nikon n70

I'd probably go for the 180, or if your budget allows look for a Nikon 80-200 f2.8. I've got the two touch version with a tripod collar and it's an excellent lens. A 300mm focal length will be handy, but an f4 lens won't be at night. I'm guessing that you'll be shooting in places that aren't too well lit - as in not NFL games...

Take your camera and whatever lens you do have to a game you'd like to photograph. See what kind of meter readings you get - you'll probably find that f2.8 will barely cut it and you'll hope for something faster yet!

However, either is probably too short for bird photography. There is an older Tokina 400 AFf5.6 which can be bought used pretty inexpensively (~$250 or so). Very sharp, I've shot with it. Maybe this plus the 180 (again, or 80-200) would be a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by statebirdme
    I'm thinking of buying a longer lens so i can do sports photography and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two lenses.What im wondering is if it would be smarter to buy the 180mm lens because its faster and just add a 2x teleconverter to it whenever i need a bit more power or should i get the 300mm lens because it will be faster than the 180mm lens with a teleconverter.I'm interested in bird photography and sports photography like baseball and football so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. FYI i use a nikon n70
    I own the 180 2.8. It's a fantastic lens, very very sharp and fast, works well with teleconverters, is lightweight and compact, and has an attached sliding lens hood. I like it so much that I've sold off my other long lenses, and just use this.

The 300 4.0 is an excellent lens also. If you are just shooting sports and wildlife, it might be a better choice, but much less versatile than the 180 2.8. You'll probably find that 300mm is a little short for most sports and wildlife shooting. However, with a 1.4x teleconverter, you'll probably be OK.

--Jeff

Old hack
    Not being a professional with the rigth lens for each every situation, I'm a big fan of versatility. I'd go with the 180 (or 80-200/2.8) and teleconverters. Just make sure you get good TCs like the Kenko Pro 300's or the Tamron SP Pro's, which as I recall are actually the same units.

Dennis

nikon 180mm d ed or ed?

I was wondering what the difference was between the nikon 180mm 2.8 d ed and the 180mm 2.8 ed because the non d version seems to be a bit cheaper. And really what i was wondering was if the quality of the pictures is noticably different and if its worth getting the d version thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by statebirdme
    I was wondering what the difference was between the nikon 180mm 2.8 d ed and the 180mm 2.8 ed because the non d version seems to be a bit cheaper. And really what i was wondering was if the quality of the pictures is noticably different and if its worth getting the d version thanks.
    The "D" has to do with flash. Basically, the flash takes into account the focus distance (assuming it's the subject distance) for correct flash exposure. With a D lens, a newer camera (should be OK here) and a newer flash it will work. Check the manual for exact combinations.

Other than fill flash outdoors, how much are you using fill flash with a 180? For sports, probably not. For wildlife, maybe. If it was a 28-70 and you were shooting weddings, then it would be a good thing to have. I've heard (no personal test though) that it's really not a big deal because TTL is very accurate anyway.

Thread Information