Newbie Needs HELP!!!

Printable View

• 04-27-2004, 01:14 PM
    B712
    Newbie Needs HELP!!!
    What is the best way to resize my photos fo posting. I tried to post a pic today and it came back file size to big. I am using a 10D.
  • 04-27-2004, 01:46 PM
    Asylum Steve
    What editing program do you use?
    The procedure will be slightly different depending on the program you use.

In photoshop, make a copy file, then in the top menu click on IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE.

When the IMAGE SIZE window opens, make sure your resolution is between 70-80 ppi, select a reasonable width, say 500-600 pixel. The CONSTRAINED PROPORTIONS box should be checked so the height will take care of itself, check RESAMPLE IMAGE>BICUBIC, then click OK.

Look at the image at 100% to get an idea of its actual screen size. If it looks cool save as a jpeg and post away...

Quote:

Originally Posted by B712
    What is the best way to resize my photos fo posting. I tried to post a pic today and it came back file size to big. I am using a 10D.

• 04-27-2004, 04:39 PM
    Peter_AUS
    The actual file size must not exceed 195k, the viewing size is best around 600 x 400 at 72dpi.
  • 04-28-2004, 08:43 AM
    Sebastian
    There are several factors at play here, FILE size and IMAGE size.

Use an image editing program to save the file as a JPG and pay attention to both of those aspects. First, RESIZE the image to be 600 pixels on the long end. Then, when saving as a JPG, experiment with different quality settings to bring the file in under 200k. Different images will have different settings, the more details there is, the harder it will be to compress, the larger the file. ALway check the size beforehand. I suggest aiming for a file size of 100k. It is easier on those that use dial-up and it still preserves a lot of detail at the 600 pixel recommended image size.
  • 04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
    mjm
    72ppi

ppi is a unit of measurement for monitors/scanners ;)
  • 04-28-2004, 04:28 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjm
    72ppi

ppi is a unit of measurement for monitors/scanners ;)

This is not the case. DPI or PPI are interchangeable, and completely irrelevant to anything related to display on a monitor. The values only come into play when printing.
  • 04-28-2004, 10:28 PM
    mjm
    [OT]
    explain to me how you can have a 'dot' on a monitor or a 'pixel' on something printed...
    [/OT]

my appologies for the OT post...
  • 04-29-2004, 12:31 AM
    Peter_AUS
    I moved the thread as I think this is more a help question than an internet/web design forum question.
  • 04-29-2004, 07:06 AM
    Sebastian
    MJM,

I'm not saying there are no pixels on the screen. DPI is a distribution of UNITS across an INCH of a FIXED area. That is why the units can be, and are, interchangeable. It is strictly for printing purposes because that is the only medium that can have different distibutions of units across an inch while still keeping the same output size. For fixed-unit displays, any monitor, TV, etc., the PIXEL DIMENSIONS dictate how the image will appear, not the DPI. DPI is ignored for ANYTHING but print. ON a 640x480 screen, a 640x480 image will always be full screen, whether it's 1 DPI or 12,000 DPI, it's size will not change. Only by changing the screen resolution can you make t appear as if the image is differing sizes, even though its pixel dimensions reamain the same.

As for the 72dpi value, that's just a bunch of BS that was invented with no purpose in mind, and disappeared as quickly as it came into being. To even get a DPI reading for a screen (once again, no point) you would have to measure the screen size and divide your resolution by it. I for example, am running a 12 inch diagonal screen, 9.75 wide, 7.25 tall, at a resolution of 1024x768. That means that I am averageing 102x105dpi. Like I said though, this has absolutely no bearing on how the image will appear in relation to the screen size. Only the image pixel dimensions and the display resolution have any influence on that, not taking into account software zooming.

If you don't believe me, upload two images, both 600x400, one at 1 DPI and one at 300 DPI, you'll see for yourself.

This iseems to be a difficult subject to grasp for some, and it's easy to get confused. I was working with print for several years before I fully grasped it myself.
  • 04-29-2004, 12:21 PM
    mjm
    Interesting that makes sense. I will have to read your reply again to fully grasp it.

Thanks.
  • 04-29-2004, 02:31 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjm
    Interesting that makes sense. I will have to read your reply again to fully grasp it.

Thanks.

Believe me, I know. The most imortant thing, IMO, is understanding that DPI simply has NOTHING to do with size of any sort. It's simply the density of data on a printed page. Every device has different specs for DPI, and they are usually based on LPI if screen of offset printing.

And for all intents and purposes, if the final output is a monitor or display, the numbers should simply be ignored.

If you need to print something, just set the file to the specs the printer suggests and forget about it. :)