Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

New to cameras and bought a lens and now have lots of questions

I have a Nikon d3000 the lens that came with it and one zoom lens. On several vacations I found that I couldn't get as much in the shot as I wanted. I did some looking and then wanted a wide angle lens.

picked up a Tokina 12-24mm F4 (if) DX wide angle lens and UV filter. The lens also says AT-X pro.

Does this lens focus without me having to move the ring like the other two lens? What does the uv filter do? Anything else I should know as I know next to knowing. Btw" I paid $300 of Craigslist, how do I do? Wish I found this place before buying!

Re: New to cameras and bought a lens and now have lots of questions

From what I'm reading about it, yes, it has the built-in focus motor so it should work as the Nikon AF-S lenses do.

The price seems about average for this lens used, I think.

The UV filter is not as big a deal with digital cameras as for film, or so I'm told. Generally it's more for protection of the lens physically. If it gets bumped, the cheap piece is out front to take the bump.

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    From what I'm reading about it, yes, it has the built-in focus motor so it should work as the Nikon AF-S lenses do.

The price seems about average for this lens used, I think.

The UV filter is not as big a deal with digital cameras as for film, or so I'm told. Generally it's more for protection of the lens physically. If it gets bumped, the cheap piece is out front to take the bump.
    I found that there is a AF and MF setting simply by pulling back the focus ring or pushing it forward. The issue is it's still not autofocusing. IS this lens compatible with with the nikon D3000?

Well, it looks like the page I called up was for the "II" version of this lens. The version you have does not have a built-in focus motor and thus will not auto-focus on D3000-series, D5000-series, or the D40 and D60 bodies.

I would say sell the lens and look for the II version, which will work for you. Unfortunately, you're not going to find one for 300 bucks.....

Sigma and Tamron have offerings in ultra-wide zooms as well, as does Nikon, but none of these are "budget" lenses.
    Last edited by wfooshee; 04-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Well, it looks like the page I called up was for the "II" version of this lens. The version you have does not have a built-in focus motor and thus will not auto-focus on D3000-series, D5000-series, or the D40 and D60 bodies.

I would say sell the lens and look for the II version, which will work for you. Unfortunately, you're not going to find one for 300 bucks.....

Sigma and Tamron have offerings in ultra-wide zooms as well, as does Nikon, but none of these are "budget" lenses.
    I have been looking at a D5000 camera body, it says the lens works with AF lens (none AF-S)... am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Preston1026 View Post
    I have been looking at a D5000 camera body, it says the lens works with AF lens (none AF-S)... am I mistaken?
    never mind it's a 7000 body I am looking at.

The D7000 has the focus motor in the body that will allow that lens to auto-focus. The D3000 (3100/3200) do not, nor does the D5000 (5100.)

That lens will auto-focus on the D7000.

In Nikon-speak, AF means the camera drives the focus, AF-S means the lens has the focus motor built in. AF goes back to the original auto-focus film cameras and the earlier digital SLRs, AF-S was introduced several years ago, and lower-priced bodies use those lenses. The more expensive bodies retain the focus motor for full compatibility with AF lenses.

The D7000 has the focus motor in the body that will allow that lens to auto-focus. The D3000 (3100/3200) do not, nor does the D5000 (5100.)

That lens will auto-focus on the D7000.

In Nikon-speak, AF means the camera drives the focus, AF-S means the lens has the focus motor built in. AF goes back to the original auto-focus film cameras and the earlier digital SLRs, AF-S was introduced several years ago, and lower-priced bodies use those lenses. The more expensive bodies retain the focus motor for full compatibility with AF lenses.
    Thanks for the info, I ended up getting the D7000, my first digital over $150. I got the D7000, a 55-200 AF-s vr lens bag and two pretty nice books on how to utilize the camera for a good price. Thinking of getting the 35mm lens and a 10-24mm as well

Thread Information