Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    bevan.n.z

which manual 80-200 ???? for fm3a

HI,
    THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LOOK.

I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON A 80-200 FOR MY FM3A, BUT I AM CALLING ON SOME OF THE BRAINS OF THE SITE TO GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ON WHICH IS BEST??

I would like to keep it all manual focus and so far I am debating between the Nikon 80-200 {either the f4 or f4.5} and the tokina at-x 80-200 2.8. I like the faster speed of the tokina but is the nikkors image quality worth staying with the nikon? plus using 100 asa film I can see myself struggling with shutter speeds if the max aperture is only f4 or f4.5 {especially if its handheld}....

thanks for your time
    Bevan. New Zealand.

Can't answer questions about those lenses specifically, but a few comments:

I would guess that the ~f4 lenses are variable aperture, which would probably work out to about f5.6 at the long end. You would probably want 1/250 for a shutter speed handheld with a 200mm lens, and at 5.6 you're pretty limited on the conditions you can do that in. A lens like this is much smaller and lighter than a constant f2.8 lens, so maybe with practice you can hold it at 1/125 which would help a lot.

The Tokina f2.8 is a constant aperture lens, and it's probably twice the length and diameter (three times the weight?) as a variable aperture lens. But 200 at f2.8 is great for really isolating your subject from the background. Since it's bigger and heavier, it's harder to shoot slower than a small lightweight lens - but you still have a two stop advantage (maybe one stop as above).

If you are considering the Tokina, look at Nikon's less expensive 80-200 f2.8 (not the AF-S VR version). It's pretty close in price (at least here in the US) and a great lens - I've had one for a few years and it's very sharp.

What do you plan to use the lens for, and do you ever use faster film? Does the weight bother you for carrying it?

I had a Tokina zoom for a Canon I previously owned. The optics were excellent.

So I'd be looking at the Tokina vs. the Nikon 2.8 that a-v mentioned - and not bother any further with the 4-5.6 model. Shooting 100 film, you're going to need the extra coverage on the low side - and a good tripod or monopod would be a good idea, too.

bevan.n.z
    What do you plan to use the lens for, and do you ever use faster film? Does the weight bother you for carrying it?[/QUOTE]

thanks for the replies...the weight wouldnt bother me to much and the extra couple of stops sound nice as if I'm using a polarizer the shutter speeds will be slower again ..Also I love to use the very fast films..i.e the ilford 3200 and fuji 1600 for the nice big grain and fast shutter speeds.
    I think the 80-200 nikkor late model is f4 constant ...I cant seem to find any info on the weight/size comparisons between the two..but at the moment the tokina seems like a good option..
    Bevan.n.z

Think I found it: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...F/80200mm2.htmWeight of 810g = just under two pounds, fairly heavy but still less than a 2.8 lens. Of course, you can hand-hold in the dark at f8 with 3200 ! Check out other pages on this site too, loads of info here on manual focus cameras and lenses.

bevan.n.z
    thanks youve been a great help!!
    It looks like the tokina at the moment unless I find a cheap Nikon f4
    Cheers
    Bevan.n.z

Thread Information