Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Need help

Need help

Hello, I'm a new member with a question that's probally be asked 1000 times.

I'm looking to purchase a new 35mm camera for my wife and was wondering
    which would be the best 35mm SLR? We had a minolta for several years that
    has recently died. It seemed to be a good camera, but the pics where not as
    sharp as I was expecting.

Not really looking for the top dollar model, but around a good mid dollar model.

And what's your thoughts on refurbished units??

Thanks,:thumbsup:
    Chad
    Last edited by cchamp; 05-17-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Re: Need help

If you already have a Minolta, then your lenses may work with a new Minolta camera - not sure on this though. They did announce a few months ago that they are getting out of the photo business so you may want to look at other brands. The biggest two are Nikon and Canon, but there are other good ones as well. Nikon is almost completely getting out of 35mm by the end of this year too...

As far as sharpness goes, there are many possible reasons for what is happening. Can you post an example or at least describe what is happening and in what types of situations?

I have a Nikon N75 and have been very happy with it. I highly recommend getting a 50mm f1.8 lens for it. They are cheap and as sharp as it gets.

Another View has a good point, about Nikon and Minolta both getting out of the 35mm film business. Is there any reason why you don't want to get a digital SLR? It's going to get harder and harder to find new 35mm camera equipement. The low end digital models (Nikon D50, Pentax istD, Canon Rebel XT) are not much more than film cameras, and from what I've heard, they can produce images just as good or better.

If not digital, I would consider a used one from some place like KEH.com.

Good luck,
    Paul

Thanks, for the replies. I didn't relize digital had taken over like it has. I do have a fufi digital cam. I just need to get my wife caught up w/ todays technology.

The minolta I think died. When I turn it on now the shutter doesn't seem to open, but close shut and I can't see a thing throgh it.

Thread Information