Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need a Camera that takes Pictures Faster...

I currently have a Sony DSC-H2 camera. My wife hates it because she says that it waits too long after she pushes the shutter button before it takes the picture in low light conditions...therefore what she is taking a picture of has already happened and gone.

I don't seem to have as many problems as her when taking pics but it does take a little longer than I would like before the flash is ready to take the 2nd, 3rd, etc. picture.

What digital camera would you recommend that would solve this problem?

I typically take pics of family outside, at family gatherings, my 14 year old daughter playing volleyball, and eventually my 3 year old son playing the sports he chooses.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW: I have a Canon Elan 7 with a 50mm lens and a 28-90mm lens...if SLR is the way to go, would love for it to be something I could use these lenses with if possible.

tennisbumbishop
    Last edited by tennisbumbishop; 11-10-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Re: Need a Camera that takes Pictures Faster...

Any of the Canon SLRs will use these lenses. So I guess you'd have to decide what is enough camera for you. All DSLRs will be more responsive than your current Sony. Canon basically has 4 lines of bodies now:
    Rebel which is aimed directly at someone that is moving up from a point and shoot camera.
    XXD which has just been repositioned toward someone looking for a little more camera than a Rebel or moving up from a Rebel. This used to be the enthusiast level, but now it's more a lower middle model with the new 60D. 50D, 40D, 30D are all part of this group.
    XD which is Semi pro or serious hobbiest. The 5D, 5DII and 7D are part of this group.
    Last is the 1 series which are the pro level bodies.

If the thought of a full size SLR is too much camera one of the new EVIL cameras may interest you. The Sony NEX cameras, Panasonic GF1 or GF2, or Olympus PEN cameras are significantly smaller bodies with interchangeable lenses. They are faster than a point and shoot and the image quality is similar to that of a DSLR.

I
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Any of the Canon SLRs will use these lenses. So I guess you'd have to decide what is enough camera for you. All DSLRs will be more responsive than your current Sony. Canon basically has 4 lines of bodies now:
    Rebel which is aimed directly at someone that is moving up from a point and shoot camera.
    XXD which has just been repositioned toward someone looking for a little more camera than a Rebel or moving up from a Rebel. This used to be the enthusiast level, but now it's more a lower middle model with the new 60D. 50D, 40D, 30D are all part of this group.
    XD which is Semi pro or serious hobbiest. The 5D, 5DII and 7D are part of this group.
    Last is the 1 series which are the pro level bodies.

If the thought of a full size SLR is too much camera one of the new EVIL cameras may interest you. The Sony NEX cameras, Panasonic GF1 or GF2, or Olympus PEN cameras are significantly smaller bodies with interchangeable lenses. They are faster than a point and shoot and the image quality is similar to that of a DSLR.

I
    In looking at the prices, and the fact that I just shelled out $3800 for my 14 year olds teeth to look pretty (braces), I think that the only two possible cameras in my budget (Canon wise) are the Rebel XS or the T1i. Both with 18-55mm IS lens included.

I'm not sure how good they would work on the DSLR but the two lens I currently have are a Canon 28-90mm 4-5.6 and a 50mm EF 50mm 1.8 lens...as well as a 420EX flash.

Thanks for your input.

TBB

Im not sure about that flash, but the lenses will work fine. The 50mm is a good sharp lens, the 28-90 is nothing special, but it will work fine on the body.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Im not sure about that flash, but the lenses will work fine. The 50mm is a good sharp lens, the 28-90 is nothing special, but it will work fine on the body.
    Thanks for the help and the advice. If those lenses would work well I could get the T1 body for only $65 more than the Rebel (body of the T1 vs. body/lens combo of the Rebel).

Anyway, thank you for your help.

TBB

Oh, I just responded to your other thread in the canon forum. Anyway - the 420EX flash is a currently supported flash line - yeah it will work on a new digital canon.

28mm on a canon digital SLR (besides 1ds and 5d) looks like 45mm on film. Its not a very wide starting angle, the 18mm is much wider relatively, which looks like what 29 should look like in film. In any event, it does leave a pretty large gap in your wide angle capability if you start without the kit or some other wider angle lens.

Thread Information