Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: I Need HELP!!

Capturing Life Frame by Frame Tangletamergirl65's Avatar

I Need HELP!!

I need to know how to mount or display photos for a gallery viewing. I have been asked to bring some of my work in to a local clothing store who displays photography. At the end of each month there is a viewing that travels from store to store. The owner wanted me to mount my images on black board. I want to know how to do that properly.....
    -do i have-
    of course i have,
    beneath my raincoat,
    i have your photographs.
    and the sun on your
    face
    i'm freezing that frame:2: -Tori Amos

Re: I Need HELP!!

actually, doing it yourself is not that easy. for mounted pictures to look nice and to last long, you need to dry-mount them. it takes special equipment, which, chances are, you do not own. inquire in local pro labs and print shops: they do this kind of work. the price may come as a little bit of a shock, but you should remember that this is YOUR work on display, and people will be judging your skill by those prints.
    good luck,
    irakly

aaahhhh...ok, thank you. I was going by one tomorrow as it so happens so I will ask. Thanks so much for your help!
    Kathy
    -do i have-
    of course i have,
    beneath my raincoat,
    i have your photographs.
    and the sun on your
    face

If you have a local crafts store I would go for a nice black frame and a white mat. My more serious work for the Arts gallery I have professionally mounted. Custom frames, matts, paper backing, the whole nine yards. It cost me about $70.00 out of pocket.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

For my own club and exhibition stuff I use black mouting board (£3.15 = $6.00 from any decent art supply shop) and cut it to 40 x 50 cm which is the standard size. Each board provides two of these. Once I measure the print I can then work out where to put it on the board. This is a ruler and soft pencil job. Then dry mount, which comes in cans - these can be a little pricy but last for ages. When the print is stuck down (careful with this to avoid fingermarks or glue smudges) I use an eraser to get rid of the pencil marks. I suppose each picture costs me about $5.00 to mount. It would cost more, and be much more fiddly to do bevelled boards (so I don't bother!)

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

WOW thanks everyone!! I am really excited, my show is in 3 days and I think I have it together pretty well. Thanks again for all your help and wish me luck!!:thumbsup:
    -do i have-
    of course i have,
    beneath my raincoat,
    i have your photographs.
    and the sun on your
    face

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Another option (although not practical with this short deadline) you might want to check into your local community college or university. Often they will have non-credit photography courses (costs about $75-95 for 3 months or so) and they will typically have have all the equipment that you will ever need that you can have access to.

I know at my community college, it is a very common practice, and provides you rights to all the equipment. Most of the people in the darkroom during open lab times are in non-credit courses for this exact reason.

Just another option to think about.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Thread Information