Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Lens Cleaning

Lens Cleaning

How do you guys clean your lenses in the field, and how do you keep your cleaning cloths clean, and accessible?

Thanks.
    BM

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Lens Cleaning

I'll keep my cleaning cloth either in my back pocket, or in one of the front pockets of my camera bag. I'll also notice (Like shooting baseball on a windy day) when big clouds of dust are coming, and I'll cover my gear.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

I have a small waterproof container that I keep my cleaning stuff in (cleaning fluid, tissues, brush/blower, etc) It's a little bigger than a cigarette case, so it fits nicely within my camera case.

I try to avoid cleaning in the field if I can, but if I must, I try to control the environment that I'm cleaning in as best I can. (or move inside out of the wind/rain, have someone block the wind, etc. if at all possible.)

If your talking just a cloths (microfiber or the likes) themselves, I'd keep them in a ziplock bag to keep contamination to a absolute minimum while you have them in your bag/pocket/etc.

I'm sure some of the others will chime in with ideas/suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

I clean the camera before going out and after coming back in from any shoots.

In the field if its raining I put on a very expensive UV and use a micro fibre towel to dry the lens if I get spots on it, well the filter as the water doesn't get to the lens. UV not normally used unless I expect problems with water or lots of dust.

When I get home the filter gets sprayed with spectacle cleaner and my camera (spectacle, bought from opticians) micro fibre cloth s used to clean it. The cloths are cleaned when required.

A small puffer is used to blow dust away, while the rocket is kept in a clean environment at home for sensor cleaning.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I use my T shirt when in the field if I need to clean my lens. As Photo John often says, your gear is tougher than you think. If it's something that I can't get off with my shirt, I will use a bit of lens cleaning fluid on a lens cleaning tissue. My cleaning supplies are stored in a ziplock bag inside my camera case.

Another idea that I hear works great is Zig Zag's. The guy behind the photography podcast Tips From The Top Floor uses Zig Zags to clean his gear instead of a micro fiber cloth. If you don't know what Zig Zags are, they are small pieces of paper used to roll your own cigarettes. They are kind of like AA batteries, you can find them just about anywhere. No need to try to track down a photo store when your out and about.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Lenspen, I just bought my second one this is the greatest cleaning tool that I have bought. I have cleaning clothes and solutions but nothing seems to work as well as the lenspen (this last one cost me 8 bucks).
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I use the lenspen, also. Usually wipe with a microfibre after using it but basically not necessary. Just stick it in your pocet like an inkpen and its always handy to get to.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Most of the time I just don't clean in the field. It takes more than a few dust specs on a lens to degrade the photo. If you can't see it in the view finder most likely it's to small to make any difference. I do check and clean if need before I leave for the field and at the end of the day. I also check before putting the camera in it's case, to make sure I catch anything that would affect the image quality and at that point it gets cleaned in a protected space.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information