Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Which monopod to get?

Hello everyone. I'm getting equipment ready for shooting pictures in the Atlanta area next month. My subject is competitive cheerleading. My camera consists of a Nikon D80 with a 70-200 VR lens. Sometimes the girls are up on a stage, or may be down below me when I'm on a platform. Rarely are we on the same level floor. My question revolves around which monopod to get along with a ball head to raise the lens. I have been looking at the Bogen 3218 (681B).

Thank you.

Re: Which monopod to get?

I've got the Manfrotto version. It's very solid, quite heavy.

This bit about the girls being above you/below you bothers me. How exactly were you thinking of using the monopod? It's no taller than you are. You place it solidly on the ground and use the camera more or less as usual.

BTW don't forget to turn off the VR on the lens when you use a monopod (or a tripod).
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

There is not much to monopods - they don't have to be inherently stable, just strong enough to support the weight required and long/short enough to do the job. There is very little weight difference (that you can feel) between high end carbon fiber and standard aluminum jobs.

Pay more attention to the head. Find one that gives variable resistance so that you can pitch the camera up and down smoothy and accurately. Yet the head needs to be able to be clamped down so that your rig doesn't flop around when you move about.

I have a 5-section 'pod that will take my camera and lens over my head. This allows me to angle the camera up and still meet my eye while standing (it doesn't happen much but I do sometimes need the extra length if I am standing on rocks or on slopes - neither of which are found in arenas )
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

drg

Consider spending a little more and getting a self standing monopod or get a 'kit' with a head. The kit will save you some money and with the Bogen/Manfrotto line you will get at least a decent head or some specials include extra 'plates'. Quick Release is very hand to have if switching lens or camera body. No more doing 'the twist'!

The self standing version seem silly but they are sure easier to grab if you've disconnected the camera and need to move. No more looking on the ground for the monopod or it getting kicked or stepped on by someone!

There is a new line of ball heads from Manfrotto.

Here is a PhotographyReview.com link:

http://reviews.photographyreview.com...ads/#more-9235

that you may find useful in evaluating your options.

There is a tilt and swivel head available as a package with the 681B monopod that you might want to consider. Not as 'floppy' as a ball head but not a fluid damped head either.

Avoid the mini-ball heads as they are built for little cameras.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

The 681B is good choice. It is a modular system with QR plates.

Thread Information