Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Which monopod???

I've always been a tripod user but it has become difficult to take pictures at my kids baseball games with one of these. I have resorted to resting on the fence but have recently been granted permission to go on the field. I thought a monopod might help but don't have a clue which to get. I generally use a digital camera for the games because the kids think it is neat to see themselves on the little league website. I am also trying to decide between a 2x or 3x teleconverter lense basically because I am scared of flying baseballs and want better shots of the outfield.

I guess what I am getting at is which monopod would y'all (yes I'm from Texas) suggest and should I go for the 2x or 3x teleconverter? (I know there is a digital board but haven't received any responses so I thought I would try over here)

Thanks in advance,
    Sheila

ANY monopod. I use a Manfrotto 3249. That, witha little head on it should suit you fine.

Teleconverter lenses are tricky. Asking a general question like 2x vs. 3x won't get you many answers. Obviously 3x will give you more reach than 2x, not much more anyone can tell you.

I suggest you try out several at the store, take pictures with them, and take the pictures home and study the quality. Then pick the one that gives you the desired balance of quality and reach.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I second the suggestion for using a Manfrotto 3429. It's what I use.

--Jeff

Mamiya Man
    I use the bogen/manfrotto 3230. if you read the review one guy said his legs got permanatly jammed in the monopod. I can't see how this happened because there is plenty of space inside to fit the legs, he probably just stripped the threads putting it back in. I love this monopod, the legs allow it to do hands free w/a little common sense, don't put big glass, keep it level, no wind and be right there. I have used it to do some long exposure shots for night photography holding up a mamiya c33 as well as my 35mm cameras. I haven't used it to hold up my rb67, I think that would be pushing it. The head I use on it is the bogen joystick head when I need quick adjustments I can't think of anything else easier to use. I also use the bogen 3055 head but I normally use that on my tripod.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    no mention of what digital camera is it a nikon 990 or a D1X/80-200f2.8?

the 3249 ROCKS, but it very well may be OVERKILL

if you camera has a weight of under 2 pounds..... buy i lighter monopod from the bogen line(or a cheaper model?)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Talking Many Thanks...

Thanks for all your input. I ended up ordering the Bogen 3006 Lightweight. It only holds up to 10 pounds but I'm pretty sure I'm within the limits (I'm secretly hoping I didn't go too light). With taking my two kids plus the one I babysit and all their stuff along with me everywhere I go I try to limit how much weight I pack on. Not to mention my 7 year old is now starting to enjoy photography and I have to bring some "toys" along so he can shoot a few as well.

I can be such a blonde some days...I am using a Nikon 990 (I think I forgot to mention) I was a little vague on the whole teleconverter issue. I wasn't able to go try them out in the store so I went for broke and ordered the 3x from B&H. They have always been good about taking things back in the past if it doesn't workout. I thought I would try them both out on a couple of Little League games and see if it's what I need.

It's like Christmas around here for me...my husband also ordered the new Epson Photo R800 for me...I'm on such a (digital) photo high right now from all the ink fumes (LOL).

Thanks for all your help...I will post some things in critique when I get things going with the new lens.

Thanks again!
    Sheila

Thread Information