Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: SLR Newbie Help

SLR Newbie Help

Hi there

Im looking into buying an SLR for the purpose of supplimenting my travel writing and improving my general photography skills.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations on brands/models that would be good for my level, but something that I wouldnt need to upgrade for some time.
    Im looking at spending around $1000. Im currently living in Japan as well.
    Something that has a high shutter speed so I can take photos rapidly, and something good for night photography.
    Thanks

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: SLR Newbie Help

Hello skirmish and welcome to PR. I have a big question. Do plan to shoot film or digital? I can't help with the film as much as the digital suggestion. In my position as Reviews Moderator here, I have read many reviews on the various cameras and it is my recommendation that any of the entry level DSLR's would probably fit your needs, from the Olympus E-Volt to the Nikon D50 or D70s to the Canon Rebel XT.
    One of the best things to do is to go to a camera store and play with the various style cameras that you might be interested in. Feel is a very important factor on whether you will like your camera or not. Also, check out the menu and button layout, to make sure it is understandable to you and comfortable for your hands. Finally, read reviews on the ones you like, not only here, but also on "Steves Digicam" or "Shutterbug" or other photography site and don't forget to read the specs on the manufacturers sites.
    Once you have narrowed it down, come back here and we'll offer suggestions based on what you want to use it for.
    Good luck and keep us up to date.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Hi Skirmish,

Welcome to PR. I would check out the review section here on the site before you make your final review.

Before you do that, however, let me make a quick pitch to you. I would take a good look at the Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D in your neck of the woods...I think). It is one of the smallest DSLRs currently on the market while offering a resolution of 8 megapixels. It will be good for your travelling, and it is a good entry level camera body.

You'll have a hard time getting all of your requirements in a single body. The XT will come in around $1000 US with a kit lens and it is a good entry level camera.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks alot for your help guys!
    I'll keep you posted on my results

Right, so I went and had a quick look at a few cameras, and it comes down to the canon EOS or the Nikon D50 I think.
    Unfortunately the cameras are all in Japanese setting and I didnt have time to ask the guys to change it for me, but I had a bit of a play. Basically, I liked the feel of the Nikon more, because I have long fingers and the Canon felt a little cramped.
    But, I will be travelling extensively over the 6 months, and travelling light is important, and the canon definately came off the winner there.
    Can they both take rapid shots?
    Any more input appreciated!

Thanks

So, I just read the reviews on this site on both those cameras, and its left me even more confused!
    The reviews all seem to say that camera is the best, and you should buy that one, not the other!
    Arggghhh!, Help! ;)

Make your own choice

Quote Originally Posted by skirmish
    So, I just read the reviews on this site on both those cameras, and its left me even more confused!
    The reviews all seem to say that camera is the best, and you should buy that one, not the other!
    Arggghhh!, Help! ;)
    All that the reviews are telling you is that both cameras are good and that their owners are happy with them. Finally it comes down to personal preference. You've done what we usually advise - take the camera in your mighty hands and see how it feels. Now it's up to you to decide which one you feel most at home with.

Both will do rapid shots, by the way. Whatever that means. They shoot almost immediately, can shoot continuously, follow moving objects..

Charles

Right
    Sorry, I think I meant shutter lag, Im not too knowledgeable on the technical side of things.
    So I guess it really doesnt matter which I choose then.
    I think the canon might be best for travelling, so it might be the way I go....

Is the difference in weight all that much? I know the size is noticable, but if it is just weight, there are some things you may want to consider. For example, when I got my first camera, I went with the cheapest, thinking I was just going to do travel snapshots, etc. I ended up getting really into it, and due to little thought, and lack of ability to recognize a pattern, purchased 6 cameras in about 9 months. The result being slow learning, and frustration.

My point is that if the Canon feels cramped, think about if you really get into shooting. Would it be comfortable enough to shoot 100's of frames within a few hours time? Last time I went out, I shot 159 frames in a little less than 2 hours. That's 1.3 FPM, at that rate, you're holding the grip a bit.

In your position, you may want to check out some lenses. Find some focal lengths that interest you. Compare Nikon and Canon lenses in or near those focal lengths, and the prices/performance. Most photographers I know only use a few primes, and very few zooms, so it shouldn't be a lot of legwork.

From personal experience, grabbing a camera in a store and using it for months on end are two completely different things. It's not like one will break your hand if you take too many pictures while the other massages it for you. I have shot thousands of frames with both Canon and Nikon, and in the end, the "comfort" is irrelevant. What does matter, is the layout of the controls. In this regard, I can only comment on the Rebel, and frankly, the layout is not that great. Though they did greatly improve on it with the Rebel XT. (350D)

Once you move out of the bottom range of the lineups the difference is pretty much nonexistent.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Well, the layout of controls may be a consideration for some. I don't mind digging through a menu to shoot landscapes all day, as the subject won't go anywhere before I am ready. On most outings, switching between three lenses, and diging through menus on two completely different systems (Kodak and Minolta) wasn't difficult.

If I were to recommend on the basis of control layout, I would say a Minolta (soon to be Sony) 7D. The 7D has dials and buttons all over for just about every setting, with the exception of things like assigning custom settings to programmable buttons, sharpness, saturation, etc. IMO, things you may not need to change on the fly. Even the 5D has an amazingly accessible layout, and are far easier to get to than either the Rebel, or D50. That is just an opinion though, and I have handled all 4 systems.

The main reason I bought up the comfort factor is simply because he used the word "cramped" which sounds painful, and if your hand is kinda of "cramped" there is the chance of hitting buttons on accident, etc..

So, how about lenses guys?
    What would you recommend I go with first?
    I know the stock lenses are bollocks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    From personal experience, grabbing a camera in a store and using it for months on end are two completely different things.
    Very true, but I don't think you'll see a night-and-day difference with either. 6mp versus 8mp really isn't that big of a deal unless you're really pushing how big of a print you can make. Maybe you can see it in a 16x24 print or larger but likely not smaller. A bigger difference in this case will be the quality of the lens and the quality of the post-processing (editing in Photoshop, etc).

I don't know Canon so I can't make specific recommendations. Nikon's D70s has recently come down a lot in price and the 18-70 kit lens is supposed to be pretty good - much better than the D50 kit lens (18-55 I think). I'm sure you could get a D50 with the 18-70 but you'd be very close to the price of the D70s kit at that point. Both Nikons are 6mp, but with my older 6mp DSLR I'm very impressed by the large prints. Good lenses, again. If you go with Nikon take a good look at the 18-70; the next step up is the 17-55 f2.8 but that lens would blow your entire budget, at least in US$. Good lenses are an investment and I'd definately go this route over getting a high-end DSLR with a cheap lens. With a $1000 budget the D70s, 18-70 and a couple 1gb cards would be a great way to get started.

Just thought Id let everyone know what I ended up getting!

Just ordered a Nikon D70 and a Tamron 18-200 lense.

It all cost me 100,000 Japanese Yen, pretty good deal I think.

Now just waiting for it to arrive!

Thanks for all the help

Thread Information