Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Mirror lenses Vs Reflex lenses

I noticed recently that there are a few manufacturers making mirror lenses that will fit the olympus 4/3 mount and I am wondering what the advantages and disadvantages to these lenses.

I have done a bit of research and from what I have read they are mostly for shooting macro's and such. Just curious as to whether or not they'd be worth spending a few $$'s on to find out how well they work.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Re: Mirror lenses Vs Reflex lenses

If I understand the distinction you are making.

Mirror lenses often create little doughnut-shaped light objects in the out-of-focus background of telephoto shots. Some photographers get really bothered by this effect and consider it a quality defect. On the other hand, it does not stop Photography and other magazines from accepting shots from mirror lenses with this effect for publication.

The advantage to mirror lenses is that they are relatively small and a 500mm for example can be easily handheld for shooting purposes. This enables you to get a shot that might be difficult or impossible with a longer reflex lens. You can imagine the reach you could get with a small 500mm on a 1.5 sensor DSLR. (750mm).

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Far as I know, the two terms mean the same thing. Mirror is the more common term though. All the ones I've seen have been very long (focal length) telephoto lenses; 500mm or more. The advantage of a mirror lens is that the physical dimensions of the lens can be much smaller - those 500mm lenses are probably only 8-10" long. They're also not as expensive for a good quality lens but this isn't as true as it used to be with some of newer zoom lenses.

There are a lot of disadvantages including the donut shaped highlights. This effect can be interesting if used occasionally, in a situation like sunlight shining on a lake. They're also fixed aperture lenses. A lot of the 500mm lenses are f8 - and that's the only aperature you have to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    . You can imagine the reach you could get with a small 500mm on a 1.5 sensor DSLR. (750mm).

Ronnoco
    Or like the 500 MM lens I have on my Olympus E500 with the 2x sensor.... like shooting at 1000

Thanks guys. I thought that was the only real difference. I was looking at the 800 mirror lens to add to my gear bag but I think I will rent one and give it a try before I spend the money on it.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Thread Information