Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What about Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 ll USM

What do you think, it's just a face lift or it's better than its predecessor ?
    What do you think about Canon EOS Elan 7N ?

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar
    I know I want both. I have the 28-105s larger look-alike 100-300 and I love it. I am just waiting on the $

Check out the reviews on this site. Make sure that the review you read are comparing apples to apples, a consumer (or even a prosumer) lens isn't going to have the same build quality that a pro ("L") lens will. And thank God for that, because otherwise my outfit wouldn't be what it is...
    Last edited by h2oskierc; 04-03-2004 at 08:42 PM.
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

Say Hello To My Little Film
    I have the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM II and for the relatively low cost it's a decent performer. I've enlarged shots with this lens up to 8x10 and the results are ok. However, for any print size smaller than 8x10 it is adequately sharp when used with proper technique. This lens is definatley better than any kit lens that comes with Canon's consumer cameras. The build is very good and it has internal focusing. For $200 you can't go wrong with this lens.

-Nate

Cool

The original EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM (introduced 1992) had 5-blade diaphram. At some point (1999?) this was changed to a 7-blade diaphram. There were no other changes. I don' know the before/after serial number break. I have the older 5-blade design and have been very pleased with it and recommend it without reservation, but one might expect marginally better bokeh with the latter design.

The "II" version introduced in 2000 is entirely a cosmetic update. No change was made to the optics. Per the description at the Canon Camera Museum(http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/index.html), "This lightweight, compact standard zoom lens is practically identical to the EF28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM optically and mechanically, but it has a leather toned exterior finish for a higher quality look."

Thread Information