Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Angry Minolta Dimage Z1 Focus Problem

ok... i just got my z1 a few days ago... i took about 300 pictures so far and about 90% of the pictures i took are blurry the only ones that werent blurry was a few macro shots that i took. could this be the camera or me? its been cloudy these past days too... im not sure it might just be that but please help!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    ok... i just got my z1 a few days ago... i took about 300 pictures so far and about 90% of the pictures i took are blurry the only ones that werent blurry was a few macro shots that i took. could this be the camera or me? its been cloudy these past days too... im not sure it might just be that but please help!
    Post a sample or two with EXIF data. My first guess is always user error with the AF or mistaking softness for out-of-focus. No, cloudy weather has nothing to do with it!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Post a sample or two with EXIF data. My first guess is always user error with the AF or mistaking softness for out-of-focus. No, cloudy weather has nothing to do with it!
    i was kinda hoping it was cloudy weather... because then i would have a reason besides it being me! lol ok heres a few samples
    or not.... im new at this and dont know how to insert images...

dout this is going to work.. lol

Apature: F/3.5
    Shutter: 1/1000
    ISO Speed: 50
    Focal Length: 6mm
    [IMG]Picture 024.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minolta Dimage Z1 Focus Problem-picture-024.jpg  

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    This looks like a focus vs softness shot. I took your image and did a mild sharpening on it. The difference was clear. It also appears that your focus was on the foreground.

You chose to use f/3.5 with a high shutter speed. That gives you shallow DOF and only a small portion of the picture will be in focus. You don't need 1/1000 for landscapes!

Set your camera to f/8 or f/11. This will give you a much larger DOF and put much more of the image in focus. Also, all digital images require post-processing, especially sharpening. Give your images a small shot of sharpening to see the difference yourself.

Your camera seems to be working properly. With a little practice, you'll get excellent photographs you'll be proud of.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

mine works fine

I've had a Z1 for a good six months now and I've taken thousands of pictures with it. I haven't had any focusing problems with mine. The only thing I hate is that there's so much stupid chromatic aberrations that it drives me nuts. That's my only complaint about it. I think Minolta fixed that problem with the Z2. I love my little Z1 though. Here's a gallery of my shots, all taken with the Z1.
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=401380

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    This looks like a focus vs softness shot. I took your image and did a mild sharpening on it. The difference was clear. It also appears that your focus was on the foreground.

You chose to use f/3.5 with a high shutter speed. That gives you shallow DOF and only a small portion of the picture will be in focus. You don't need 1/1000 for landscapes!

Set your camera to f/8 or f/11. This will give you a much larger DOF and put much more of the image in focus. Also, all digital images require post-processing, especially sharpening. Give your images a small shot of sharpening to see the difference yourself.

Your camera seems to be working properly. With a little practice, you'll get excellent photographs you'll be proud of.

the only problem is... my camera only goes up to f/8...

Thread Information