• 04-18-2004, 01:24 PM
    SmartWombat
    Minolta A2 and SPEED of flash card
    I was disppointed at the F1 testing in Barcelona last week, I couldn't photograph more than 3 cars per lap when shooting RAW.

The camera will cache images before they get written to the card, but with an IBM Microdrive it takes over a minute to write 3 images. That's almost whole LAP of the circuit!
    There's no way this is going to work during a race, I'll need 3 or 4 cameras :)

Or a faster memory card perhaps? Using a bog standard Sandisk card it's slightly faster, about 5 seconds faster per image (11MB RAW) than the Microdrive.
    But I only get 33 photos on a memory card. I'll spend as much time with the laptop as with the camera - bad news.

I know it can make a difference to the choice of card, depending on the camera manufacturer. I can see in theory a faster card will help, but if the Minolta is only designed to go at the speed of standard cards (because it's not a Pro camera) then I'd be wasting my money.
    So does anyone out there have a Minolta A2, and know from experience how much better an Ultra II or Professional card will be in the A2?
  • 05-12-2004, 04:57 AM
    David Owens
    A2 with 1Gb Ultra Sandisk and 11Mb RAW
    It takes 15 seconds
    Dave
  • 05-12-2004, 04:42 PM
    SmartWombat
    Per image. So 45 seconds (see my other post after I bought one!) at best.
    So I cut maybe 30 seconds off the cycle time using £250 of memory.