Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Manual and autofocus lenses

Hello! This is probably an incredibly naive question, but I only got interested in photography recently, and I can’t find the answer anywhere else.

I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XS without realizing it was autofocus only. I found a few pages saying that the autofocus could be overridden to manual, but there were no details as to how. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how? I will have to purchase a new lens for the camera—is it simply a matter of buying a manual lens?

Thank you.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Colimbina
    I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XS without realizing it was autofocus only.
    No, it is not autofocus only. If you want manual focus, there is a switch on the lens, move it to "MF" for manual focus.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thank you SO much! Most of the sites I found on it said it was only autofocus, so I was very confused. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information