Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Is this a good deal?

Hello again,
    I was talking to a co worker at work today about lens, and she said that they have two lens that they would sell to me for $30. They no longer use the film cameras, strictly digital, and they gave there camera body to a friend as his was damaged but she found these two lens, and they also had a rebel g. She said that they are still in there origanal boxes, and were not used very much but the one does have a few scuff marks on it.
    Could someone please expalin to me what 1:2.8 meand and what the UC means on the Sigma lens? And what the 3.5-4.5 means on the sigma lens? I know the MC stands for macro, correct. Have not a clue to what the 49 or the 70 is either.

Gemini Lens 1:2.8 28mm MC 49 for use on Canon cameras

Canon EOS EF Sigma 28-70mm UC Lens 70 MC 3.5-4.5

She's going to let me try them out, and if I want them I can pay her the $30. or she's going to sell them on ebay as she's tierd of them being in her house.

Thanks again for all of your help....I'm still a beginner at all of this. I just wanted to know if this was a good deal or if I was going to be taken. I'm still thinking of getting a new 28 mm wide angle lens.

Kris

Looks Ok

Kris-
    I've never heard of Gemini lenses. So I wouldn't expect much from it. The Sigma is probably ok. It's not listed in the reviews here, so I expect it's pretty old. But for $30 I don't think you can go wrong. You very likely will want to replace them soon. But again, for $30, who cares?

Your only risk is buying these lenses, using them for your family photos, and being unhappy with the results. If that happens, you probably can't reshoot and then you made a bad investment. Ask your co-worker if you can shoot a test roll before you make your decision. If you shoot some tests, you're happy with the prints, and you've got $30, then I'd say buy them. They aren't glamorous, but if they get the job done, then they might be the right thing for you.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi,
    I guess the Gemini lens is made in Japan, but she is going to let me try them out, and get some pictures developed, and if I like them she is going to let me buy them for $30.

I'm still going to buy a new 28 mm lens for the reunion just to be on the safe side. As soon as I get my income tax return and my mother thought that it was a good idea to ask for money to pay for the film and my time when taking the pictures.

Thanks,
    Kris

Slow Down

If the lenses you buy for $30 work fine, then use the tax refund money for something else. If you buy a new Canon, you'll have 3 28mm lenses! The money might be better spent on a flash or the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. But see how well those used lenses work first. Maybe even get some tests of the Canon 28mm on the same roll of film, if you can find a shop that will let you try the lens on your camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi Kris...

Quote Originally Posted by paintsrule
    Could someone please expalin to me what 1:2.8 And what the 3.5-4.5 means on the sigma lens? Have not a clue to what the 49 or the 70 is either.
    The 1:2.8 tells you that the largest aperture your lens is capable of is f2.8. The 3.5-4.5 on the zoom means that at the widest angle the lens offers (28mm) the max aperture is f3.5 and as you zoom out (to 70mm) the same max aperture gets smaller and becomes f4.5.

Could the 49 and 70 be the filter sizes?

As for the UC and MC, I have no idea what they mean.

Hope my answer helps!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Thread Information