Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

lost pictures, please help!

I went to a show last weekend and brought my digital camera to take some photos. The next day I was formatting an older photo from a few weeks before. I agreed to the confirmation of formatting it, and before I knew it every single photo (including the ones from the concert) was gone. Are they deleted forever? How can they be deleted if I was only formatting? I think they must be somewhere in the camera or on the memory card. I've taken it to 2 camera places to see if they can be recovered, but to no avail. There must be some other option!

Any advice would be appreciated, those pictures mean a lot to me!! Thanks.

Formatting means to rewrite the file system of your card, it wipes everything and rewrites a fresh file system.

Try something like Photorescue Here .
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Formatting means to rewrite the file system of your card, it wipes everything and rewrites a fresh file system.

Try something like Photorescue Here .

Hey Seb,

Thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate it. Clearly I'm a beginner at this stuff... I'll definitely try it and hope it works.

If you haven't done anything on the card since, it will recover your files. Has helped me out a couple of ooppsss's and the cost is worth paying for it.

yet another question...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

When you say Photorescue will recover my files "if I haven't done anything on the card since", does that mean that I can't take anymore pictures? I'm going on a trip this week and was planning to bring that camera; however, I'm having trouble downloading the Photorescue program onto my computer. I'm not sure if the bug will be fixed before the trip... so should I just leave the camera at home? I wouldn't want to jeopardize the chance I have of recovering my pictures.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks again.

Yes - you can't use that card until you try to recover the files with photorescue. When you format a card, you re-write the directory on it but images may be able to be found as long as you haven't shot anything on it since you formatted it. It's not a guaranteed fix, and you may not get everything - but you'll probably get something.

Why not pick up another memory card and just leave that one at home?

Check for an email from me.

Quote Originally Posted by paints_me_blue

When you say Photorescue will recover my files "if I haven't done anything on the card since", does that mean that I can't take anymore pictures? I'm going on a trip this week and was planning to bring that camera; however, I'm having trouble downloading the Photorescue program onto my computer. I'm not sure if the bug will be fixed before the trip... so should I just leave the camera at home? I wouldn't want to jeopardize the chance I have of recovering my pictures.

I hate that you can't just put something in the title and send the post.

You haven't responded to my email

Quote Originally Posted by paints_me_blue

Hope you aren't one of those people asking for help, get it and not achnowledge it.

Thread Information