• 04-12-2004, 12:21 PM
    froldan
    Loading images onto the web
    Hi
    I've been noticing that some photos I load onto the web look kind of blurry,pixelate or sometimes jaggy.
    My original pics look very sharp and focus.I thought it was a scanner resolution problem but I bougth a digital Nikon D 100 (Obviously no scanning involved) and the problem persist. How ever it does not happen in all my images.
    The process I follow goes like this.
    1.Download pics fm camera to P/S
    2.Do any color managment if necesary.
    3. Crop if necesary
    4.downsize image to 640x480
    5.apply unsharp mask in P/S 7 if necesary

Am I missing something here?
    Can someone advise ?
    PS If needed you may view an example at the sports/action forum.
  • 04-12-2004, 02:07 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Digital Imaging Forum...
    This is probably a question that would be better off in the Digital Imaging Forum, but hopefully enough will see it here to be abe to help you with the problem.

Your workflow seem fine. The only x-factor I can think of is how you save the image to a final jpeg. What is the compression you use (percentage)?

The best way to go about this is to start eliminating things it may be. If you use a high compression on your jpegs, that itself would be enough to degrade the pic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by froldan
    Hi
    I've been noticing that some photos I load onto the web look kind of blurry,pixelate or sometimes jaggy.
    My original pics look very sharp and focus.I thought it was a scanner resolution problem but I bougth a digital Nikon D 100 (Obviously no scanning involved) and the problem persist. How ever it does not happen in all my images.
    The process I follow goes like this.
    1.Download pics fm camera to P/S
    2.Do any color managment if necesary.
    3. Crop if necesary
    4.downsize image to 640x480
    5.apply unsharp mask in P/S 7 if necesary

Am I missing something here?
    Can someone advise ?
    PS If needed you may view an example at the sports/action forum.

• 04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
    another view
    I think Steve's right - I usually save at 600 x 400, compression set to "8" in Photoshop 7. With those small images, it's next to impossible to see any difference between "8" and "12" (maximum), but less than "8" and it starts to break apart.
  • 04-12-2004, 06:38 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Could also be maybe related to what profile you are saving in as well. Remember to set the profile for the image to sRGB which is for web posting.
  • 04-14-2004, 08:47 AM
    sobinapaint
    Use Photoshop
    Since you have Photoshop utilize it's web capabilities. Edit all your photos in the highest resolutions/format as possible - you will be waiting to compress at the end of the process. Then, when you are finished and want to save for image in a format for the web go to "file" - "save for web" and it well take you to a window that alows you to optimize your photo to any size/compression/resolution you need for the web. It also gives you a before and after compression view for comparison. Be aware that if you want your photo to look exaclty as it does before compression you will have to give up lots of download time because the file will be very large. Photoshop is an awsome program with excelent web capabilities!