Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Some advice and help

Hi there,
    I’m brand new to this forum and have a few questions. I’ve recently graduated from my old camera (HP 735 Photosmart) to the Olympus E-500. Love the camera! Still pictures are much sharper and detailed.
    I’m having a problem with exposure and blur when taking pictures of birds in flight? Mainly ducks. It seems when I increase my shutter speed to freeze the movement most “all” of the pics are under-exposed? I’m using the shutter priority mode. Is there any way to have the shutter speed around 1/1000sec without increasing my film speed over ISO400? I have the combo lens set ( 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 & 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Zuiko Lenses) What about different lenses with a larger aperture? I practice all the time, just not sure if I’m wasting my time trying to get results that aren’t ever going to be achieved???
    Thanks in advance for everyone’s help, Garret

Re: Some advice and help

Quote Originally Posted by garretray@nventure.com
    It seems when I increase my shutter speed to freeze the movement most “all” of the pics are under-exposed
    Since you're in shutter priority you should get some sort of warning. I'm not familiar with that camera and can't remember exactly what mine does, but something should show up in the viewfinder.

Think of exposure as an equation with three variables (and you probably thought you were done with Algebra...). One variable is shutter speed, and you're locking the camera on a particular setting with shutter priority. Another option is aperture, and there's only so wide that you can go - limited by the maximum aperture of the lens. The other one is ISO speed.

If you're at 1/1000 shutter speed, maximum aperture and shooting in low light, you may have to use a higher ISO speed or you'll have an underexposed image. For example, bump the ISO up to 400 and leave all the other settings where they're at. Since exposure is an equation, if you used 1/500, maximum aperture and ISO200 you'd have the same amount of exposure (shutter is open twice as long but at half the sensitivity).

Faster lenses have the advantage of being, well, faster (in terms of maximum aperture) - but they have drawbacks as well. The wider the aperture, the more narrow the depth of field (area in focus in front of and behind the focus point). They're also heavy and expensive but they look cool.

Be sure to check out this guide in the learn section too.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you are using shutter priority, your camera may be selecting an aperture that doesn't expose properly for the subject. You may have to go manual and select both aperture and shutter speed and even iso, all depending on available light.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    ...your camera may be selecting an aperture that doesn't expose properly for the subject...
    And... if attempting to photograph birds in flight, it may be selecting an aperture appropriate for the background sky. I sometimes "measure" what shutter and aperture would be selected by focusing on an object on the ground that I judge has about the same lighting, and then manually set those values.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

If you are taking the photos at sunset or sun rise an F3.5 lens may not make it unless you up the ISO to 800 or higher. Be aware that at full open you also can have DOF problems. I would set at aperture priority mode, at open the lens wide open. You should be able to see in the view finder the settings or on the LCD control panel. Then you may have to up the ISO setting to get the shutter speed to increase to stop the motion. Double the ISO double the shutter speed (100 ISO to 200 ISO) open the aperture one stop double the shutter speed (F5.6 to F4) !!!! PLEASE note allot of lenses have fractional F numbers!!!!

No mater what, the sensor needs x amount of light to work at ISO 100. The amount is determinant by the F stop and shutter time.

If you can't get good results you may have to speed some money on faster glass for your camera.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    And... if attempting to photograph birds in flight, it may be selecting an aperture appropriate for the background sky. I sometimes "measure" what shutter and aperture would be selected by focusing on an object on the ground that I judge has about the same lighting, and then manually set those values.

Yup,,

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Thanks for everyones help. I've been trying a bunch of different sttings and think I'm getting tthe hang of it. Them ducks sure are fast!!
    Kind of caught this one. Still would like pic to be a little sharper.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

That's pretty darn good for an 'in flight'. Some people throw hundreds away before they get the 'right' one.
    Keep working with the settings and keep shooting.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    That's pretty darn good for an 'in flight'. Some people throw hundreds away before they get the 'right' one.
    Keep working with the settings and keep shooting.
    Very true. Looks like you're on the right path, and with some practice and a bit of luck you'll get it.

Thread Information