Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help finding a lens

I shoot college football games for a team website. I am still very much a beginner and I currently use a cannon camera with this lens.

Canon - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

I am looking for a lens that can get wider shots and also has good zoom. Since a lot of the games I shoot are also at night, I am looking for a lens that can work well at night. I would like to spend no more than 1500 if I have to, but would be willing to go over a couple hundred for something good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help finding a lens

You will have to get two lenses if your shooting at night, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

If you can live with a slow lens then you don't have to pay $1500 per lens.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Depends on your camera and if you have a crop sized sensor (Rebels, 30D, 40D, new 50d) or a full frame sensor (5D, new 5DMKII, etc). I have a 40D but only purchase

Quote Originally Posted by mr love View Post
    Depends on your camera and if you have a crop sized sensor (Rebels, 30D, 40D, new 50d) or a full frame sensor (5D, new 5DMKII, etc). I have a 40D but only purchase
    Yes if you have good high & very High ISO performance you can get by with a high F-Stop lens. With sports the DOF must include the focused on action and the small F-Stops can help limit the amount of DOF.

The Second thing here is "crop" factor or the equivalent angle of view factor of your camera. I have a Nikon D70 which has a factor of 1.5 so the equivalent angle of view of a 50mm prime lens is 1.5 x 50 =75mm lens angle of view of a full frame camera.

A high crop factor can save you allot of money as the longer telephoto lenses can be very costly. Price out an non-mirror 450mm lens, as my Tamron 70-300 does give me an equivalent of a 450mm lens without the large costly outlay.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information