lens advice needed

Printable View

• 02-07-2004, 03:43 PM
    salamalala
    lens advice needed
    THANKS LIZ FOR YOUR INFO ON THE NEW THREADS!!!!

I got a canon A-1. A replacement for one I had that died. So I have my old lenses plus the

ones that I purchased with the camera. Heres what Ive got:
    I already had:
    Canon FD 50mm
    Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 1:35 Macro focusing auto zoom

Got with the new body:
    Canon FD 50mm
    Sigma mini-wide II 1:2.8 macro
    Sigma high speed zoom 80-200mm

Im obviously going to sell one of the 50mm lenses since they are identical. My zoom and macro combo/and the other 2 new lenses give me about the same options. The macro focus is about the same, the zoom is a little different.

Any input on what i should keep/ sell? (I dont use zoom/macro that often.) I am leaning toward selling the 2 seperate lenses since I can probably get more for them as they are newer. But on the other hand, they are newer and slightly lighter(individually of course) and might be a better choice to hang on to.

If you have questions or need clarification, please ask. I am not too familiar with specs so I dont know what info to put out there...

Thanks!!!
  • 02-15-2004, 04:47 PM
    GB1
    I'd sell one of the 50mm lenses for sure, and also one of the zooms. Sigma and Vivitar are pretty close to each other in overall quality (though it really depends on the particular lens) so that's a toss up, but you say here that the Sigma is high-speed, so if you need to speed you ought to keep that one.

Btw, you may not need the auto-focusing lenses for the A-1, but one day you'll replace your A1 with an auto-focus camera and wish you had AF lenses. so might want to consider holding onto those.

GB

Quote:

Originally Posted by salamalala
    THANKS LIZ FOR YOUR INFO ON THE NEW THREADS!!!!

I got a canon A-1. A replacement for one I had that died. So I have my old lenses plus the

ones that I purchased with the camera. Heres what Ive got:
    I already had:
    Canon FD 50mm
    Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 1:35 Macro focusing auto zoom

Got with the new body:
    Canon FD 50mm
    Sigma mini-wide II 1:2.8 macro
    Sigma high speed zoom 80-200mm

Im obviously going to sell one of the 50mm lenses since they are identical. My zoom and macro combo/and the other 2 new lenses give me about the same options. The macro focus is about the same, the zoom is a little different.

Any input on what i should keep/ sell? (I dont use zoom/macro that often.) I am leaning toward selling the 2 seperate lenses since I can probably get more for them as they are newer. But on the other hand, they are newer and slightly lighter(individually of course) and might be a better choice to hang on to.

If you have questions or need clarification, please ask. I am not too familiar with specs so I dont know what info to put out there...

Thanks!!!

• 02-16-2004, 07:45 AM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1

Btw, you may not need the auto-focusing lenses for the A-1, but one day you'll replace your A1 with an auto-focus camera and wish you had AF lenses. so might want to consider holding onto those.

GB

i'm sorry, but he listed no AF (EOS mount) lenses :o

getting rid of a 50mm will get you$20-40 at a fair price depending on how new in quality

neither of the 2 others grabs me as a clear winner.

wish i could help more, but i'm a nikon/EOS guy