Lens adapter help

Printable View

• 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM
    goatsnapple
    Lens adapter help
    I've been looking all over for a 46mm-58mm adapter ring with the threads that mount the lens to the ring on the outside.

I've searched online but still only find the threads on the inside. My local camera shop said the company they buy from discontinued the product. A link or any response would be greatly appreciated.
  • 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM
    Anbesol
    Re: Lens adapter help
    Can you find any with the threads on the outside? Maybe a 55-58 or so, then get an ordinary stepping ring from 46-55.
  • 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM
    goatsnapple
    I can try, I was hoping there was an easy way out. I don't know what to look for, as if mounting rings on the outside has a special name. Thanks for your help. I would ask the camera shop but they are a half hour away n seemed reluctant to try.
  • 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
    Anbesol
    Call them up then, they will certainly know how to help if they have the right product in stock.
  • 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
    goatsnapple
    Well thank you, I never said I knew what I was talking about but I was just informed of step down rings haha. Thanks for your help.
  • 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM
    freygr
    Be careful with step down rings due to vignetting. I would order 48 to 47 mm step down ring then order a 47 to XXmm step up ring to your filter size. But it still may vignette at the wide end of your zoom.
  • 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
    Drez
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    Be careful with step down rings due to vignetting. I would order 48 to 47 mm step down ring then order a 47 to XXmm step up ring to your filter size. But it still may vignette at the wide end of your zoom.

Sorry to be a newb but vignette?
  • 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
    Chris350
    vignetting is the darkening or cutting off at the corners. Usually because there is something blocking the light from that area or due to lower quality lens construction. Most common on wide angle lenses. It becomes an issue in your case because you're looking to place a smaller diameter item in front of your lens if I understand the flow of this thread.
  • 11-15-2011, 10:14 AM
    Thoover
    I am new here and wondering if any of the Old Film Olympus Camear Lens will work with the Canon Rebel T1i body with some sort of Adaptor? My father gave me a 210MM and a 55mm 2.8.
  • 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoover View Post
    I am new here and wondering if any of the Old Film Olympus Camear Lens will work with the Canon Rebel T1i body with some sort of Adaptor? My father gave me a 210MM and a 55mm 2.8.

Yes but it depends on the mount to film distance, as if the mount to film distance is greater on the Canon you will not be able to focus on far objects, the greater the difference is the focus limit moves closer to the camera. Also the you will have to use the lens as a manual lens, and may have to use a light meter
  • 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM
    Thoover
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    Yes but it depends on the mount to film distance, as if the mount to film distance is greater on the Canon you will not be able to focus on far objects, the greater the difference is the focus limit moves closer to the camera. Also the you will have to use the lens as a manual lens, and may have to use a light meter

Thank you. I wonder if the Adaptor I saw on Amazon will work do you know? I spoke to Penn Camera here and they said they are not sure.

It says:
    Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to Canon EOS Camera Adapter

Or would I have to get the exact adaptor for the size of the lens? they aren't expensive so I would rather spend that kind of money to see if it works before I get the nicer lens that I want.
    The majority of the Ice Hockey I shoot are all Manual focus since I shoot through the class and sometimes netting which in manual removes the netting!!
  • 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoover View Post
    Thank you. I wonder if the Adaptor I saw on Amazon will work do you know? I spoke to Penn Camera here and they said they are not sure.

It says:
    Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to Canon EOS Camera Adapter

Or would I have to get the exact adaptor for the size of the lens? they aren't expensive so I would rather spend that kind of money to see if it works before I get the nicer lens that I want.
    The majority of the Ice Hockey I shoot are all Manual focus since I shoot through the class and sometimes netting which in manual removes the netting!!

First with the correct adapter you can install any makers lens on any camera. Saying that there are physical things which will affect the use of the lens. If the lens elements penetrate into the SLR mirror path you can damage the camera. If the mount to film plan distance can not be meet then the lens will not be able to focus over the full range. Also the auto aperture function may not function, along with the light meter, and auto focus, and any auto adjust of the lens, due to incompatibilities better the makers.

Many of the adapters are used in Mirco photography were the whistles and bells of the lenses are not used, and the users are looking to enhance the image quality and DOF.