Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Large prints on metallic paper?

I want to make a couple of 20x30's, and I was thinking about trying metallic paper. I'm afraid I may not like the result though. Anyone tried it? Is it satisfactory? Thanks.

Re: Large prints on metallic paper?

It looks great, on the right shot. I have done a few prints on Kodak Metallic from Mpix, and usually vivid colors look best to me. I'd really recommend doing the same image and a few others as 4x6's to get more of a feel for it before getting a 20x30. This paper looks about as close to a slide on a light table as you can get from a printed image.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I just had an 8x12 done and it was pretty nice...wouldn't hesitate to try a 20x30.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    It looks great, on the right shot. I have done a few prints on Kodak Metallic from Mpix, and usually vivid colors look best to me. I'd really recommend doing the same image and a few others as 4x6's to get more of a feel for it before getting a 20x30. This paper looks about as close to a slide on a light table as you can get from a printed image.
    Thanks for the advice.. These are the two I was going to print..

and

I guess I'll at least try the waterfall shot.. Think the second will work too?

They'll both work, it's just a personal preference. I printed a fog shot on Metallic and it really isn't my favorite. I think the only way to know is just to have it done.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm with Steve. I love the look, on the right photo. Not a paper I would want to print everything on, but with the right image, it can really make it pop. Go for it and see what you think.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I really appreciate the help. I think I'm going to go ahead and do the waterfall on metallic and the fog one on endura since it was mentioned fog may not be the best. I was more worried about how that shot would look on metallic anyway. Well, thanks again!

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

that sounds like exactly the choice i would have made. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    that sounds like exactly the choice i would have made. Let us know how it turns out.

They arrived yesterday. They turned out great! I used Adorama, downloaded their color profiles and uploaded my images as tiff files. The fog picture looks good on the endura paper. I think metallic would have killed the mood of the photo. However, the waterfall looks great on the metallic paper. The highlights in the water really pop, and the colors are very vibrant. It reminds me of an ilfochrome.

Now I have another question. Where do I find frames for display of 20x30's??? Or should I get custom framing for them??

American Frame is a great place to get metal (Neilsen) frames. I have a couple of 16x24's and had the mats cut 22x32 at a local craft store (buy archival mats). The photographs are centered left to right, but I think 1/2" closer to the top than centered which looks better to my eyes. I bought glass at a local glass shop.

American Frame has tips on how to put it all together, especially this one. Another tip is to use some sort of blower bulb or compressed air (be careful not to get propellant from a can onto the print or mat) because one little piece of dust can easily get into the frame.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Thanks for letting us know how they turned out.
    As for frames, if you don't want fancy, I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart has them and I'd bet a dollar that Ben Franklin would. Our Ben Franklin has a frame shop..don't know if others do plus ones you can get off the rack.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I know michaels has custom frame pieces, if you don't mind building your own. It will allow you a more custom size...

have you ever considered face mounting to plexi on the metallic? I have never done it, but I hear it makes things pretty amazing looking..

Making you own frames is not hard but you do need a good miter box and saw. Here are a few links to suppliers, Please note I have not used all of them, Links: http://www.americanframe.com/, http://www.framingsupplies.com/, http://www.grignonsart.com/Picture_F...plies_Home.htm, http://www.clubframeco.com/, and http://www.dickblick.com/categories/matboard/
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Anyone ever try printing B&W on metallic paper? I'm thinking high contrast shots might look good.

As for framing, I go to either Michael's, Jerry's Art-a-rama, or Hobby Lobby...quality goes in that order. I also hear Aaron Brothers is good, but I haven't been there myself.

Paul

ive done it and I love it. the grays look really good on it.

for framing, ive gone to michales to get two panaramics framed ( both were 8.5 by ~30). both came out really great, but it is very expensive. the good part is michales always has 1/2 off coupons etc, so wait until you can use one of those. ( cost like 200 with the coupon :/ )
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Wow.. It looks like I'm going to have some shopping around to do.. Thanks for all the replies and the links!

Brent, I'm curious about the face mounting to plexi idea.. Got any more information about that?

umm i actually dont have much information, I had to call around a bit to find a place that does it around here, but being in CA you may have better luck. It's actually not that expensive if you buy the plexi yourself, the rate for my 30x60 print is like 40..., but if they had to supply the plexi it was going to be about 120 i believe.

they mount with a cold press using clear mounting sheets, so the print itself sticks to the plexi. It completely smoothes out the print and in doing this seems to give the print a 3d look. Much different than just sticking it behind glass. I figure that could with the metallic would look pretty nice...

Hmm that's very interesting.. I'm going to have to ask around about that. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I'm with Steve. I love the look, on the right photo. Not a paper I would want to print everything on, but with the right image, it can really make it pop. Go for it and see what you think.
    So, what would be those right photos, right images that look good on metallic paper?

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    they mount with a cold press using clear mounting sheets, so the print itself sticks to the plexi.
    What kind of shop does this, a framing place? It sounds like it might be a good option for a contemporary look, which is how I see metallic prints to begin with. Never thought of b&w on metallic but I'll have to try it - thanks for the ideas!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    So, what would be those right photos, right images that look good on metallic paper?

The few that I have done all had a pretty strong element of color in them. Something that I wanted to add a little more punch to the color.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    What kind of shop does this, a framing place? It sounds like it might be a good option for a contemporary look, which is how I see metallic prints to begin with. Never thought of b&w on metallic but I'll have to try it - thanks for the ideas!
    the only place I have found that does it is business framing and printing places. Michaels and all the sort do not offer it, as well as most photo shops. this is the place that is going to do mine... http://www.image4.com/default.asp

Thread Information