Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

$ 200 Gold-N-Blue Singh Ray Filter

The September issue of Popular Photography has contains an article about a new Gold-N-Blue Polarizer. This filter is not cheap (around $ 200). Has anyone out there used one? Is it worth the money, or just another "gimmick"? Please advise.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: $ 200 Gold-N-Blue Singh Ray Filter

I have never used one, but have thought about it. I would get a regular circular polarizer first, and then, think about getting something like this, or a warming polarizer later on. Singh Ray is a very good brand and know for making top quality filters so I'm sure it does what they say it does. My biggest concern is that it might get old after a while. Kind of like a fisheye lens, it looks great for certain shots, but I wouldn't want to use it for everything. I'm guessing that you could get away with a regular CP, and duplicate the gold/blue effect in post processing if you wanted to. I would still be curiouse to see what it can do under the right conditions tho.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

It could perhaps be categorized as another filter with somewhat limited use. The balance is trying to get good, effective, saturated colour while still making it appear natural, rather than "artificially" induced.

Most photos with strong blues in the top half and bright golds in the bottom half are not likely to have the "natural look".

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    My biggest concern is that it might get old after a while. Kind of like a fisheye lens, it looks great for certain shots, but I wouldn't want to use it for everything.
    I agree 100%. I have shot with this filter (two years ago, it's not new unless there's a new version of it) and don't have any interest in buying one. A friend is a commercial photographer and he's used it when he had to get a shot. At the time, he was photographing shopping malls for a client. The sky was mostly overcast so he took a few shots with the gold and blue and the client loved it. He, as well as any photographer, would prefer to go back when the light was better but clients don't always understand how this works and/or don't have the time to wait for perfect light, good sky, etc.

Here's one of those shots. Although I don't think much about the "straight out of the camera" arguement because all cameras apply processing to images when jpegs are shot, this one is - other than slight levels boost to the mids and re-size. The colors weren't touched but it was shot in sRGB as a jpeg. Usually I use the lowest contrast and saturation at the time of capture but not positive on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $ 200 Gold-N-Blue Singh Ray Filter-dscf2208.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Here's one of those shots. Although I don't think much about the "straight out of the camera" arguement because all cameras apply processing to images when jpegs are shot, this one is - other than slight levels boost to the mids and re-size. The colors weren't touched but it was shot in sRGB as a jpeg. Usually I use the lowest contrast and saturation at the time of capture but not positive on this one.
    The lighthouse shot looks more like magenta on the top half and blue on the bottom half.
    Where is the gold?

Ronnoco

When you turn the ring, the effect changes from blue to gold. The water in the foreground was turned blue by this filter. Check out Singh-Ray's website, I remember seeing some examples there.

Thread Information