• 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
    Zachary
    1 Attachment(s)
    Internal Sensor Dust on a Point & Shoot Camera
    I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-W80 as my camera and about 2 years ago I started seeing a dark spot in my pictures, I did a bit of research, discovered I likely had dust on my internal sensor, looked at how to clean it off and it just looked so intimidating for me, who knows nothing about cameras in general. I took it to Wolf camera who said they'd charge like $250 to clean it so needless to say, nothing was done. I ignored it but it's gotten worse, to the point that I can't ignore it anymore. I took this picture pointing up at my white ceiling zoomed in to show what I mean. From what I've read this is a problem usually for cameras with changeable lenses but I haven't found any solutions for a basic point & shoot camera. Is there any way I can go about fixing this?
  • 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM
    freygr
    Re: Internal Sensor Dust on a Point & Shoot Camera
    Try other camera shops, as Wolfs Camera must have a flat rate repair fee. Most big box camera stores I would not go to for camera repair. The independent camera stores can direct you to a local repair person/shop which will not gouge you.
  • 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
    Frog
    Not likely to get sensor dust in p&s but possible.
    I wonder if it could be mold though?
  • 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
    Zachary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Not likely to get sensor dust in p&s but possible.
    I wonder if it could be mold though?

Is there any way to tell for sure if it's mold?
  • 03-30-2010, 02:41 PM
    Frog
    I have no idea but I suspect the cleaning process is much the same.
  • 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
    SmartWombat
    My Canon G9 filled up with dust and hair to the point where it's unusable.
    It's a sealed sensor and lens mechanism (hah! allegedly) that has to be replaced as a unit.
    That's what drove me to Micro Four Thirds.