• 06-01-2004, 07:03 AM
    azonicbruce
    Internal Firewire CF card reader?
    Does ANYBODY know where I can find a 5.25 or 3.5 inch bay style INTERNAL firewire card reader for Compact Flash cards?

I know Lexar makes a firewire reader but it's external. I've seen the kind I'm looking for but they're all USB 2.0 interface.

Any clues?
  • 06-01-2004, 07:49 AM
    Sebastian
    Try newegg.com.
  • 06-01-2004, 09:28 PM
    azonicbruce
    Hmm. They had quite a few bay-drive style card readers but they were all USB 2.0 Interface. Thanks for the link though. I also came across pricewatch.com, and they had a ton too, but again, all USB 2.0 interface.

I have a Firewire card with an internal port so I'd like to get good use out of it. The Lexar external reader is fairly cheap (~$40).

I'm wondering how much faster the Firewire would really be over the USB 2.0 (I would have to buy an PCI upgrade card; currently only have USB 1.1)?

Anybody with experience using both?
  • 06-02-2004, 12:00 AM
    Peter_AUS
    Firewire and USB 2 are about the same relatively speaking.

If you have USB 2.0 on your computer you probably have a internal USB connection on the motherboard as well, to add extra USB 2 ports, if so, then the bay drive style would suit you.

Don't get too hung up in the Firewire/USB differences in speed.

I have both and really don't notice the difference.
  • 06-02-2004, 05:13 AM
    Sebastian
    I disagree with Pete on this one. Firewire givesme MUCH higher throughput, and lower CPU utilization. However, that's with a HD, card readers are limited by the cards, and you won't notice the difference between USB 2.0 and Firewire. But in high-throughput devices you definitely will.
  • 06-02-2004, 05:22 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Seb,

I was referring mainly to the card reader with this one, of course other things are relative to the device. But seeing it was in relation to a card reader specifically, that is why I commented.

Now if you want to talk speed, what about SATA for speed.
  • 06-02-2004, 05:25 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Seb,

I was referring mainly to the card reader with this one, of course other things are relative to the device. But seeing it was in relation to a card reader specifically, that is why I commented.

Now if you want to talk speed, what about SATA for speed.

Hehe, how about 15,000 RPM fibrechannel drives? :D
  • 06-02-2004, 05:35 PM
    Peter_AUS
    If you can afford them, for the majority of people, they are still staying with 7400 speed.