Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

I need some advice

I am looking for a way to add my name, phone number and E-Mail address to each of the pictures I sell. I was thinking about getting a nice sticker printed with my information on it to place on the back of the print or mat. What are your thought and ideas and where do you get what you use? I would also like to know what information that you think needs to be included on this, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: I need some advice

Jeff,

I think the most cost effective method would be to get a rubber stamp made that has something like this:

© Photo by - GRANDPAW JEFF PHOTOGRAPHY
    Street Address, Ocean Springs, MS Zip
    (555) 555-5555
    jeff@hotmail.com

This will stop the WalMart ripoffs, and act as advertising for more sales, and a rubber stamp mark is difficult to remove.

BTW thanks for your work on the site, and good humor
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

BTW the rubber stamp is not an original idea, the Army has used that since at least WWII. Better give credit before I get in copyright or patent trouble

Bill

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The stamp seems like a good idea but make sure the ink used won't bleed through.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Couple thoughts:

1) having a way to contact you is vital
    2) a custom rubber stamp can be purchased from most office stores at little cost
    3) the inks used by rubber stamps never dries on the backs of many papers

I have a standard copyright/contact info/hanging directions form that I print out on large Avery permanent labels that I afix on the backs of matted and framed pieces.

I don't sell loose prints (except very large ones) so I don't have to worry about placing contact info directly on the backs of prints.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Jeff,

I called a friend and got this link www.1stopsquare.com they carry a special ink that is quick drying, archival, and waterproof for stamping photos.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

I print on address labels and stick it to the matting, then I us a large 2 by 4 inch label on the backing board of the frame with the photo tittle/place and my contact information.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think that a rubber stamp looks really tacky, and dated.
    Most photographers I know use labels, on both the individual images and the back of the final mount.

So for example a set of photos of Lewis Hamilton would have one on each photo (with a reorder #) and one on the back of the 4-photo mount.

I like the idea of hanging directions on the back of the frames.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

drg

Labels have some problems,

Are the really acid free? I spent a bunch of money on the latest and greatest a decade ago from a reputable photography supplier for use with E-Paper (KODAK Pro print paper) and they yellowed and peeled off in a 2-3 year period of time. Left a bad mark as well. I have found some solutions but they are not the greatest for the long run. Labels do work pretty well on the back of dry-mounted matte frames. Of course you can just write on those as well.

Do you want to use your photo inks (so they are archival) to print labels?

Stamps are fine until you need to change information then you need a new stamp, but I still use them.

If I am printing my own images, I first print on the back of the paper all the appropriate information. So what if I trash the print? That extra pico liter or two of ink for contact, copyright, and purchase information is in the noise.

If you having your images printed on conventional photo paper digitally check with you processor to see if they can print custom information on the back. Chances are they will, because they can!

Look on even the cheapest drug store/convenience store/super store print and there is often an audit trail. That can be custom programmed very easily. The 12-15 year old Fujitsu printer we still use can easily be set up for anything including different fonts.

The newer printers including a LightJet, (I don't own the LJ but rent time on one) have graphical and multi-color capability to print logos and all the fun stuff right on the paper!

There is also an ink transfer system like a decal available where you roll off a pre-printed label with a rubber roller that was printed in reverse. This has the advantage of using an inkjet to print the sheet of label information and the applying it 'gently' to work. It was intended for use on vellum drawing that don't take kindly to being poked or 'soaked' but will tolerate a roller pressing down on them. It will work though on almost any surface. May have to be fixed to stick though.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

To start with I am only placing this on the back of the mat or backer board and not directly on the picture. I decided at least for right now to just print up labels because I need these for this Saturday for an art festival. I am still looking around for ideas though.
    Thanks for all of your quick responses. It is nice to have a place to come to with friends that can help me out with ideas and suggestions. Thanks for letting me a part of this site, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wishing you success this Saturday, Jeff. Let us know how it goes.
    Is this going to be your first?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If you order from MPIX you can get it printed on the back for a small fee. I usually get my name, e-mail, phone number and EXIF data on it as well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Wishing you success this Saturday, Jeff. Let us know how it goes.
    Is this going to be your first?
    Yes it will be my first time so I imagine it will be a very big learning experience. I will take some pictures and post them this weekend, Jeff

Good Luck, I hope you sell a bunch.
    Bill,

Canon T2i, 18-135 IS

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Labels have some problems,

Are the really acid free? I spent a bunch of money on the latest and greatest a decade ago from a reputable photography supplier for use with E-Paper (KODAK Pro print paper) and they yellowed and peeled off in a 2-3 year period of time. Left a bad mark as well. I have found some solutions but they are not the greatest for the long run. Labels do work pretty well on the back of dry-mounted matte frames. Of course you can just write on those as well.
    clip....
    I have used just plan old AVERY or Office Depot address labels as I don't paste them to the print. I have some from 2002 and they still look as good as the day I printed them. But they were printed using a Epson C-80 printer.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information