Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Canon vs. Sigma Lens

So I am set on getting myself a 15mm lens for my Elan 7e and I am stuck at a cross roads. My other two lenses are Canons (50mm and 20-35mm). However! The 15mm Canon EF lens is something like $589 at BHphoto, while the Sigma 15mm is new on ebay for $389. I've gone to all the reviews on here and they all say either "This Canon lens is great" or "This Sigma lens is just as good as a Canon," so now I turn to you . What do you guys say? They are both f2.8, but is the Sigma really as sharp? Is the money savings so good I can't pass it up? What do you think I should do? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks! -Justin

Mamiya Man
    well, I have both canon and sigma lenses and love both. I have a 15 to 30mm sigma lense and I love it and highly recommend it

Sigma should be fine

The 15mm fisheye is a fairly specialized lens. Really not something pulled out of the bag on a daily basis. So I would go with the Sigma. Now if it was a workhorse lens, I would always recommend Canon L series glass.

Much of the difference between some aftermarket lenses and manufacturer lenses has more to do with rugged construction than differences in optics that can be seen with the human eye, operative word being human eye.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by dsl712
    The 15mm fisheye is a fairly specialized lens. Really not something pulled out of the bag on a daily basis. So I would go with the Sigma. Now if it was a workhorse lens, I would always recommend Canon L series glass.

Much of the difference between some aftermarket lenses and manufacturer lenses has more to do with rugged construction than differences in optics that can be seen with the human eye, operative word being human eye.

Dennis
    The Sigma lens also comes with a "four year warranty." I was thinking along those lines that the lens being a fixed, specialized lens that Sigma should work just as good as Canon when it comes to optical results but I needed some confirmation. Thanks for the help! -Justin

Thread Information