Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Wide Angle Zoom vs Tamron 18-270

Just returned from Glacier, and am somewhat frustrated with my photos. I have the Tamron 18-270 zoom, but the mountains seem so far away. Would a wide-angle zoom (maybe 24-70 or 12-24) help this? In other words, if I shot a mountain scene with my 18-270 at 60mm, then used a wide-angle zoom set at 60mm, would I see any difference?
    Would the change in lenses be worth the effort? I am confused about this. From Going to the Sun Road, I really can't get closer to the mountains and stay on the road. What are my options? Comments?

Re: Wide Angle Zoom vs Tamron 18-270

Dumb question. Did some research on Google. Wide-angle is not going to solve the problem. I am going to need to pack my hiking shoes next time an GET CLOSER.

If you get closer you will need an even wider angle lens with the same result. If you include everything in the scene, it has to look far away.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

OK guys and gals, what is YOUR favorite landscape lens for mountain scenes? A zoom lens? What type of zoom lens? What kind of mm range?

Paul, the biggest "special effect" of the telephoto lens will be in compressing the scene, making distant objects appear closer to near objects that they really are. Most of my unplanned landscape shots are with the 24-70 L lens, because that is what I keep on my full frame camera when I am traveling, however when I head to Glacier or Yellowstone I will use the 16-35 L. I just reviewed the photos I took at Glacier, and nearly all were between 16 and 26 mm with this lens. I don't think the lens made the mountains look particularly far away. You'll find several of these photos on my blog at Rugged Majesty; From Trough to Arête | His Creation if you want to compare to the ones you made.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

If you get closer you will need an even wider angle lens with the same result.
    Join online freebraindumps and APPLE to pass University of Washington exam in first try.

Thread Information