Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Recent purchase

Recent purchase

I am very new to photography and I had a tough time choosing my first real camera. After much debating I chose the Canon Rebel Ti over the Nikon N75. I've read the reviews and talked to a few people that know a bit more than me about cameras, but I'd like to hear what some of you think about the Rebel Ti. Is there anything I should be aware of, or should I cancel my order and go with the Nikon? Any information is good information at this point, so I'd like to hear some. Thanks

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Both...

Both are excellent cameras. There is no one best choice so don't waste time overthinking the decision.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

You'll probably wonder every time you buy a piece of equipment if you're doing the right thing. Don't worry, with either brand you can't go wrong.

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior7
    I am very new to photography and I had a tough time choosing my first real camera. After much debating I chose the Canon Rebel Ti over the Nikon N75. I've read the reviews and talked to a few people that know a bit more than me about cameras, but I'd like to hear what some of you think about the Rebel Ti. Is there anything I should be aware of, or should I cancel my order and go with the Nikon? Any information is good information at this point, so I'd like to hear some. Thanks
    I love my Ti! It is a great first camera, and I am sure you will enjoy it. That being said, I would like to upgrade to the Elan 7NE when that comes out in April, but that is purely a silly thing on my part. Canon makes great equipment (as does Nikon), and there are a wide range of accessories available for their cameras. Now you get to start thinking about lenses, flashes, and all that other stuff.

One word of advice would be to buy a UV (or haze) filter for all your lenses. It will protect the front glass from scratching, and won't modify your picture, except by reducing haze. I would also invest in a good photography book. I particular like The Basic Book of Photography by Tom and Michelle Grimm.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by h2oskierc; 03-15-2004 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Addition
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

No...

Quote Originally Posted by h2oskierc
    One word of advice would be to buy a UV (or haze) filter for all your lenses. It will protect the front glass from scratching, and won't modify your picture, except by reducing haze.
    No, it will not reduce haze. This is a common misconception. The "haze" being referred to is not haze in the air. In the old days, fiilm was sensitive to UV light and that caused a bluish haze on slides. That is no longer the case as film has changed over the past couple of decades.

"Protective" filters are a personal choice that has had more than a few arguements about their value on this site. If a protective filter is chosen, it should be the very best to limit the degradation of the image.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information