Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

How to carry extra lenses at WDW

From all the questions I have already asked, most of you know by now about my up coming trip to Disney World. What do you recommend for something to carry an extra lens or two and maybe a flash? This will probably only be used for this trip so I don't want something real expensive. All ideas welcome, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: How to carry extra lenses at WDW

I used just an ordinary shoulder bag across the handles of Angie's wheelchair.
    Small, square, so the lenses and flash sat upright in it.
    Also the sunscreen went in there, and water bottle.
    No camera logos on it, so when I stuck the two micro 4/3 bodies in there and closed it there was nothing screaming steal my camera when we left the park.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I have read that a diaper bag works well for cameras and accessories. ho wants to steal a diaper bag

Phil

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Have you thought about a photo vest?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

When we made the mouse-worship trip it was hot, too hot to wear an extra photo vest.
    But it's a good suggestion for hardier folk than me from cold rainy England, how about it Jeff?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I am not much on wearing jackets or vests. I doubt that I would find one big enough to fit me anyway. I am bigger than the average person and wear a 5x shirt. As time goes by I am beginning to think after much research that I might just take my two Sigma lenses, the 17-50mm F2-8 and the 10-20mm and the day I go to Animal Kingdom take my 70-200 F2.8 Nikon lens, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

NSSA/AIPS

Think Tank Inc. makes a selection of quality "under cover" bags. They go under the label Urban Disguise. Might be worth a look.
    It's not about the camera....

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My only street/walkabout bag is a Tamrac Velocity 5x. It will hold my 5D with 24-105mm attached, a 100mm lens, and my 580EXII strobe. Front pockets hold all the memory cards and spare batteries I ever need.

It comes with 3 methods of transport: removable shoulder strap, integrated hip belt, and carrying handle.

More info here
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

n8

I'm always tempted to bring a lot of gear "just in case," and sometimes I'm glad I did...most times it's just a hassle. I really think the 18-200, a fast lens, and a flash are the way to go. As far as how to carry it goes, I'd say a camera bag (smart ass I know). I have a lowepro something or other bag that is big enough for my d7000/grip + 18-200 (it will even fit a 24-70), with a flash in the front pocket. I've also stitched 2" nylon straps on the sides of the bag so that I can attach my (lowepro) lens cases as I see fit, so now it's a bit more modular. Now depending on what lens cases I attach, I can carry my body + medium sized lens, 2-3 more lenses, and a flash. It's a fairly compact set up too. Post a pic when I can.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Anything that can carry them. I gave up on camera-specific bags years ago. These days, if it doesn't fit in my extra-small Timbuk2, it's not coming with me. Inconspicuous, light, and it limits me to the amount of crap I carry with me, which is good for my back and keeps me from stressing about being a mugger target.

Simply bring only the stuff you will absolutely use and stick it in whatever bag you'll have with you. Often being forced to use one or two lenses forces you to be creative. Embrace minimalism.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Grandpa,

I am just back from three weeks in Eastern Europe wherein I carried two camera bodies, three lenses, and a flash, plus lens caps, polarizer filters, extra batteries, chargers all in a medium sized backpack. It came with the convertible shoulder belt and traditional backpack loops. It has internal pockets plus three larger pockets all suitable for my gear. It was small enough to carry on the plane and fit nicely under the seat in front of me. I never let that bag out of my sight and was easily carried. Hope that helps.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Thanks everyone for your different suggestions! I am beginning to think maybe the camera with a lens and one extra lens, with the extra lens being changed each day to the appropriate extra lens for the day. I will put the tri-pod in a locker until needed. I have a individual lens case for each of my lenses that I can just carry with a strap over my shoulder. I keep changing my mind and will hopefully come up with the best solution before taking the trip. If I leave my tripod in a locker I can just take the big one I have already. Any and all suggestions for my trip are welcome and thanks to all for the help so far, Jeff

Personally I think, you should install a 18-200 lens and forget about the tripod, flash, and extra lenses and have fun. I only took one camera no extra lenses or tripod to Disney World, and that was before digital and I did get many good photos. Less stuff to keep track off, lost, stolen, or damaged

With the High ISOs and the long zoom it should be a piece of cake! Now if you are going to do commercial photography it's a different: you take all your lenses, tripod, and flash or lighting setup.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Jeff, I have used a Think Tank Lens Changer 25 for my EF 24-70 L, with the thought that if I am shooting wildlife and see a landscape I want to capture, I will change lenses. It slips on my belt and can be moved to a point along waist where it is out of the way. The problem is that when I am out and away from my vehicle, I am very hesitant to do a lens change amid the dust and dirt...so I normally end up packing an extra lens that I tend not to use.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    Personally I think, you should install a 18-200 lens and forget about the tripod, flash, and extra lenses and have fun. I only took one camera no extra lenses or tripod to Disney World, and that was before digital and I did get many good photos. Less stuff to keep track off, lost, stolen, or damaged

With the High ISOs and the long zoom it should be a piece of cake! Now if you are going to do commercial photography it's a different: you take all your lenses, tripod, and flash or lighting setup.

In the past I have just taken my Nikon F with a 50mm lens several times using film and taken some good pictures but had limitations at night and inside. Having the 17-50 F2.8 combined with my D7000 should expand the possibilities greatly. This is what I intend to carry with one additional lens. As far as not taking a tripod, I do have very steady hands but they won't get me the ten to fifteen seconds or longer shots I want for the fireworks. If my tripod is too big to put into a locker it can be dropped off at customer relations and they will hold it for me until it is needed. I want to travel as light as I can so my camera and one additional lens is what I plan on carrying around and will get the tripod when needed for the fireworks. I believe in the MISKIF philosophy of "Make it simple, keep it fun". I plan on taking a video one night of the fireworks which will also require a tripod. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my thread, it is very much appreciated, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    Jeff, I have used a Think Tank Lens Changer 25 for my EF 24-70 L, with the thought that if I am shooting wildlife and see a landscape I want to capture, I will change lenses. It slips on my belt and can be moved to a point along waist where it is out of the way. The problem is that when I am out and away from my vehicle, I am very hesitant to do a lens change amid the dust and dirt...so I normally end up packing an extra lens that I tend not to use.
    I checked those out Ken and plan on using the single case that came with my lens to carry it around. it will either hook on my belt or have a shoulder strap. Thanks for the idea, I always like checking out new options, thanks, Jeff

Added note: I have checked out many discussions on what lens to take and the 17-50 F2.8 seems to be the most recommended lens. I have also looked at hundreds of EXIF data of pictures taken at Walt Disney World and it backs this suggestion up. I estimate by looking at these photos and EXIF data that about 95% of my pictures will be taken with this lens. A longer lens is needed for animal Kingdom so on that day I will be sure and carry something long to get the shots I want. I am still looking for a more comfortable neck strap to keep the pain in the neck to a minimum or eliminate it all together. All ideas on equipment or any other suggestions that will help on my trip are always welcome. I am always open to new ideas, Jeff

too heavy, i just take one

Thread Information