Homemade Filters

Printable View

• 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
    h2oskierc
    Homemade Filters
    Anybody tell me how to make some homemade special effect filters? I read something about using window screen material to make a star filter, and am wondering about what other possibilities are out there.
  • 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Virtually anything you put in front of a lens...
    ...will act as a filter, so in that sense you can just use your imagination. Just remember that whatever it is will be completely out of focus and affect the passing light and subject sharpness based on its shape.

A good way to start would be to buy clear filters (UV, Skylight or the clear Cokin ones) and use them as a sort of "canvas" to place material or objects on. You could even buy cheap or used filters and carefully remove the glass.

I haven't checked lately, but Edmund Scientific (http://scientificsonline.com/default.asp) used to have a large selection of optical quality glass products and items that may be suitable for this kind of thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oskierc
    Anybody tell me how to make some homemade special effect filters? I read something about using window screen material to make a star filter, and am wondering about what other possibilities are out there.