Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Rollei 35 Sonnar or Tessar

I'm thinking of getting a Rollei 35; I've seen a lot of them around recently at good prices. Does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other on which lens is preferable? Sonnar 2,8/40mm, or Tessar 3,5/40mm? Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Made in Singapore/Germany etc.

I own and still use a Rollei 35 with the Tessar lens. Very nice, sharp lens. Mine is Singapore made. From what I can tell there is absolutely no build or quality issue between the German and Singapore models, just a premium for collectors for German-made.

Per http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/rolleitext.html , the Sonnar lens is multi-coated v. single-coated for Tessar, Triotar and S-Xenar models; and it is acknowledged as the superior lens. The Triotar is the only one that might be avoided.

Get the Sonnar

Quote Originally Posted by eggden
    I'm thinking of getting a Rollei 35; I've seen a lot of them around recently at good prices. Does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other on which lens is preferable? Sonnar 2,8/40mm, or Tessar 3,5/40mm? Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Made in Singapore/Germany etc.
    I had a Rollei 35 with a Tessar for a while (till I gave it to my sister and she lost it). It was a lovely little camera, I did lots of amazing things with it. However, f3.5 is rather limited and while it was very sharp in the center, at the edges it was - not so sharp. I would go for the Sonnar.

I thought about getting another one, but I got an Olympus Mu2 (Sylus Epic) instead. It's cheaper (much), lighter (much), automatic exposure & focus, and the lens is certainly better than the Tessar. The only drawback with the Olympus is that like most point-and-shoots, there is a long delay between pressing the shutter release and getting the shot.

Charles

Smile

Thank you both for your helpful information!

Thread Information