Help w/Sigma 105mm macro

Printable View

• 04-14-2004, 09:59 AM
    kkraczek
    Help w/Sigma 105mm macro
    Well, I just got my Sigma 105mm macro... with no instruction manual. So.... I have a couple of questions. What does the limit / full switch do? Also, do I have to do anything special to set the lens on macro, or does it just depend on my distance to my subject? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help this macro newbie! :D
  • 04-14-2004, 10:44 AM
    paulnj
    limit/full is a focus limiter switch so the lens doesn't hunt the full length looking for focus....for macro use "FULL" and get as close as you can while still in focus
  • 04-14-2004, 11:30 AM
    kkraczek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    limit/full is a focus limiter switch so the lens doesn't hunt the full length looking for focus....for macro use "FULL" and get as close as you can while still in focus

Thx Paul, I guess I won't be using that switch for a while... I'm still using manual focus full time. Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)
  • 04-14-2004, 01:20 PM
    Kokopeli
    Re: The Sigma 105mm Macro
    I know good ol' Paul has already answered your main question so I won't bother. What I will do is assure you that you are going to LOVE this lens. I own it and have been happy with it since day one.

I look forward to seeing some of your images shot with it.
    ~Brian
  • 04-14-2004, 03:42 PM
    kkraczek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    I know good ol' Paul has already answered your main question so I won't bother. What I will do is assure you that you are going to LOVE this lens. I own it and have been happy with it since day one.

I look forward to seeing some of your images shot with it.
    ~Brian

Thanks... now I'm depressed. :( The lens is apparently not compatible with my Rebel TI, and I'm going to have to send it in to be rechipped. Serves me right for buying on Ebay, I suppose. Oh well, I got a good deal, and I don't think that Sigma charges for rechipping. If anyone else has experienced this problem, please let me know. Thanks!
  • 04-15-2004, 08:57 AM
    paulnj
    SIGMA rechips lenses FREE last i checked! AND in the NY area the turn around for my repair from them was.......3 DAYS!!!!!!!

don't sweat it!!!!
  • 04-15-2004, 06:53 PM
    kkraczek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    SIGMA rechips lenses FREE last i checked! AND in the NY area the turn around for my repair from them was.......3 DAYS!!!!!!!

don't sweat it!!!!

Thx again Paul, I shipped it out today. They did say that they are backed up right now and it COULD be a month, but that's probably just to cover their butts. :D We'll see!
  • 04-15-2004, 09:31 PM
    Sean Dempsey
    I got one of these coming tomorrow for my Digital Rebel, I'll post what I find.
  • 04-16-2004, 07:32 AM
    paulnj
    really? I had a broken manual focus ring on a sigma lens..... 3 day repair.. cleaned it INSIDE and OUT(removed dust from inside... no joke! and tightened EVERYTHING.

but i sent 100 a year to sigma for warranty work (through the lab i worked at), so that may be a factor.

I always heard "2-4 week turn around".... but never waited longer than 10 days
  • 04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
    Sean Dempsey
    Wow, this lense is seriously large. I guess I had no idea how long it would extend to do 1:1... it's bigger than my 300mm.