Help on Polarizer

Printable View

• 12-05-2005, 09:08 AM
    raven1234
    Help on Polarizer
    Hey guys, Do anyone use a circular polarizer useful for a AF lens a lot and found it very usful?? I had a linear one on my 50mm MF and it was great... Now my AF lens needed one too... But people are telling me it's not as useful as a linear one on a MF lens.

Thks
    ;)
  • 12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
    srobb
    Re: Help on Polarizer
    Not sure about a cicular one, raven, but I have a linear one on my AF lens and have been happy with the results from it. Supposedly, the circular one is better.
  • 12-05-2005, 09:49 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raven1234
    Hey guys, Do anyone use a circular polarizer useful for a AF lens a lot and found it very usful?? I had a linear one on my 50mm MF and it was great... Now my AF lens needed one too... But people are telling my it's not as useful as a linear one on a MF lens.

Thks
    ;)

Circular polarizers ARE linear polarizers! The circular polarizer adds a 1/4 wave retarder plate to the back. This plate "spirals" the already polarized light so the beam splitter will work properly. Always use a circular polarizer with an AF SLR.
  • 12-05-2005, 02:19 PM
    photophorous
    I have a circular polarizer and I use it religiously with my AF camera. I wouldn't do a landscape that has blue sky without it...in color, that is. I don't have experience with linear polarizers on MF cameras, so I can't compare.

Not a perfect tool, but very useful.

Paul
  • 12-05-2005, 11:32 PM
    crotograph
    I have both and now use the circular polarisor for digital. I still use the linear for my old Nikon lenses. No good reason, just used to doing it that way. Actually, for landscapes I use the polarisor or sometimes an 81a. Other than that I rarely use filters for color. B and W is a different story, but, depends on what I want as a result.