Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 50mm f/1.8

50mm f/1.8

I recently bought and started using canons cheapest 50mm lense EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Before using it today i attemptd to clean both sides of the lense. The camera end of the lense has no seal between the glass and the lense body and without even trying i was able to blow dust/lint into the lense and can now see it settled on the inside of the glass. Now i realise that the lense is cheap and built cheaply, but has anyone had any success removing dust from inside these or any lense and if so than please let me know how you did it.

GB1

Re: 50mm f/1.8

Far as I know, you don't do that unless you're a trained lens and camera technician. I had some sand blow into a Mayima lens once in a mini-sandstorm and I think they charged me $50 to remove it. The lens has to be recalibrated (there's a technical term for it, can't remember what it is...) afterwards too.

If you plan on getting another lens anyways, ya might want to consider not even bothering. Once you get a versitile zoom lens or something you hardly ever use the 50mm anymore....

I've got that one. And frankly, if it got dirty or broken, I'd just buy a new one. That's the joy of a $60 lens.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Far as I know, you don't do that unless you're a trained lens and camera technician. I had some sand blow into a Mayima lens once in a mini-sandstorm and I think they charged me $50 to remove it. The lens has to be recalibrated (there's a technical term for it, can't remember what it is...) afterwards too.

If you plan on getting another lens anyways, ya might want to consider not even bothering. Once you get a versitile zoom lens or something you hardly ever use the 50mm anymore....
    Ok thanks GB1, i think i will just use it as is. I have actually just switched from zooms to primes and i do plan on using the 50mm often

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I've got that one. And frankly, if it got dirty or broken, I'd just buy a new one. That's the joy of a $60 lens.

adina
    I hear you Adina, where i live they cost $140.00 so i do want to be able to use it a few more times yet.
    They are a nice sharp lense though arent they for one so cheap

Thread Information