Help finding a lens

Printable View

• 08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
    Coach Bombay
    Help finding a lens
    I shoot college football games for a team website. I am still very much a beginner and I currently use a cannon camera with this lens.

Canon - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

I am looking for a lens that can get wider shots and also has good zoom. Since a lot of the games I shoot are also at night, I am looking for a lens that can work well at night. I would like to spend no more than 1500 if I have to, but would be willing to go over a couple hundred for something good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
    freygr
    Re: Help finding a lens
    You will have to get two lenses if your shooting at night, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

If you can live with a slow lens then you don't have to pay $1500 per lens.
  • 08-13-2011, 04:48 AM
    mr love
    Depends on your camera and if you have a crop sized sensor (Rebels, 30D, 40D, new 50d) or a full frame sensor (5D, new 5DMKII, etc). I have a 40D but only purchase
  • 08-13-2011, 10:45 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr love View Post
    Depends on your camera and if you have a crop sized sensor (Rebels, 30D, 40D, new 50d) or a full frame sensor (5D, new 5DMKII, etc). I have a 40D but only purchase

Yes if you have good high & very High ISO performance you can get by with a high F-Stop lens. With sports the DOF must include the focused on action and the small F-Stops can help limit the amount of DOF.

The Second thing here is "crop" factor or the equivalent angle of view factor of your camera. I have a Nikon D70 which has a factor of 1.5 so the equivalent angle of view of a 50mm prime lens is 1.5 x 50 =75mm lens angle of view of a full frame camera.

A high crop factor can save you allot of money as the longer telephoto lenses can be very costly. Price out an non-mirror 450mm lens, as my Tamron 70-300 does give me an equivalent of a 450mm lens without the large costly outlay.