Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Light sturdy tri pod???

I was wondering if any of you had a tri pod that you would recommend to carry around at Disney world and a small head to go with it. I have something for normal use but was wondering what it would cost me to get something easy to carry for this trip, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Light sturdy tri pod???

I purchased a Slik Pro 814 CF tripod when my Gitzo was stolen last year. I paired it with an Acratech GV2 head. It's pretty darn light and plenty sturdy. It's my travel tripod now. It's Carbon Fiber and 4 sections making it more compact. Four sections usually means pretty floppy legs, but the legs are still fairly large in diameter contributing to a sturdy platform. It's not a Gitzo, but I've been impressed with the platform.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree View Post
    I purchased a Slik Pro 814 CF tripod when my Gitzo was stolen last year. I paired it with an Acratech GV2 head. It's pretty darn light and plenty sturdy. It's my travel tripod now. It's Carbon Fiber and 4 sections making it more compact. Four sections usually means pretty floppy legs, but the legs are still fairly large in diameter contributing to a sturdy platform. It's not a Gitzo, but I've been impressed with the platform.
    Thanks I will check it out. Do you think a mono pod might work? Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I haven't been there in years, but I can only think of a few places where you would need a tripod at WDW. Maybe during the Main Street Electrical Parade (it's moving so it might still be blurry), and for general night shots of the castle, fireworks, etc.

I also think a tripod might get in the way a lot and be a PITA to carry around, especially if you are going on the rides. I think a good compact camera with a decent zoom range would be what I'd carry if I were going there again. The best camera/lens/tripod combo is the one that you'll take out an use. A good little compact such as the Canon S95 would take fantastic photos and has the flexibility to capture difficult light.

My SLR would probably also come along with a tripod but only come out for brief periods where photography was my primary focus. I'd mostly concentrate on having fun with the Grandkids, and snapping happily away with the little compact camera. When I got serious or had difficult conditions, then I'd take out the serious equipment.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Seen the Main St Electrical Parade, last one 11 years or so ago and the 1st one this year after the long gap.
    You probably don't want a tripod and long exposure for that. Unless you want to lose the dancers and have light trails from the parade.
    Tripod would be good for the fireworks, but do you want to carry it around all day just for that?
    I didn't. Didn't even take a monopod.

Carbon Fibre is probably your best option, though expensive.
    The difficulty is, usually small and light means not sturdy.

You could take a monopod and some elastic webbing with velcro.
    Tie it to something that's not moving and make a support that way.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Seen the Main St Electrical Parade, last one 11 years or so ago and the 1st one this year after the long gap.
    You probably don't want a tripod and long exposure for that. Unless you want to lose the dancers and have light trails from the parade.
    Tripod would be good for the fireworks, but do you want to carry it around all day just for that?
    I didn't. Didn't even take a monopod.

Carbon Fibre is probably your best option, though expensive.
    The difficulty is, usually small and light means not sturdy.

You could take a monopod and some elastic webbing with velcro.
    Tie it to something that's not moving and make a support that way.
    Paul they have lockers that the tri pod can be stored in and gotten when needed. Probably the only thing I will use it for is the fireworks, Jeff

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Hmm I'm lazy, all the way back to the entrance for the tripod and then back up main street for the best spot for the fireworks? I'd rather have a 4-section CF tripod tied to my camera bag all day.

Tip - get your fireworks and parade spot really early, it is a total SCRUM down there.
    If you have young kids in pushchairs (or like me Angie in wheel chair) there is a reserved viewing spot for the parade which is excellent but the wheelchair spot is on the wrong side of the circle for the fireworks.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    Hmm I'm lazy, all the way back to the entrance for the tripod and then back up main street for the best spot for the fireworks? I'd rather have a 4-section CF tripod tied to my camera bag all day.

Tip - get your fireworks and parade spot really early, it is a total SCRUM down there.
    If you have young kids in pushchairs (or like me Angie in wheel chair) there is a reserved viewing spot for the parade which is excellent but the wheelchair spot is on the wrong side of the circle for the fireworks.
    There are lockers in the train station at the other end of main st from the castle, Jeff

I bought a Vanguard tripod, which comes complete with a good ball head. Retails at $200. I am pretty impressed with it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
    I bought a Vanguard tripod, which comes complete with a good ball head. Retails at $200. I am pretty impressed with it.

Phil
    Thanks Phil, I will check it out, Jeff

Thread Information