Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Greetings (and then some)

Hi all. First post here (if you're counting). I've been pretty proud of the pictures I've been taking until I looked at some of yours. Zounds!

I'm using a Sony DSC-P100, and it feels about right for me at the moment. What I'm looking for are lenses for this point-and-shoot camera. There is an adapter made by Sony that allows me to attach 30mm lenses, but I'm being cautious about buying expensive lenses without researching. My questions:

1. If this adapter allows me to attach 30mm lenses, does that mean ANY 30mm lense made by any company?

2. What brands should I be aiming for (around $100 I'd say)? Or more importantly, which should I avoid? Who's got the good prices?

3. I find the need for a wide-angle more than tele-photo. What's a good middle-of-the-road power to start off with? .7x, .5x? Also, anything to keep in mind when looking for a tele-photo lense?

4. Anything I should watch for in purchasing lenses?

I know this is a pretty demanding first post, so many thanks in advance!

Dave

Re: Greetings (and then some)

Any takers? I've scrambled to find this information and am at my wits end. Thanks everyone.

Blasto - I'm afraid I can't offer you any useful help, I've not got into the wacky world of add-on lenses yet, but just wanted to say welcome to the site, hope to see you posting pics soon.

regards,

matt

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Good morning Blasto! Welcome to the forums. I also have no clue about whacky add on lens, since I don't use Sony digi-cams, only my nice old fasioned SRT-102. But yes, research is deffinatly a good thing to do before making a major purchase like the one you mentioned.

So yeah, welcome to the forums, and start showing off your work as well.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Welcome to the site. I moved this thread to the help forum, maybe you'll get some responses there but give it a little time.

I'm afraid that I can't help much either - I have a Nikon Coolpix and bought their recommended accessory lenses which work very well. I don't have any experience with other brands though. One thing, I think that a .5x or .7x will give you a wide angle lens. You'll probably need something more than "1", like a 1.5 or 2 or something for telephoto...

Thread Information