Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

How to pose people?

I have a couple of senior portrait sessions set up for this summer. I have never done any portrait work so I need some help. My biggest concerin is knowing how to pose people. Are there any good books, or resources out there that would help me with this? I plan to dig out my high school year books as a starting point.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: How to pose people?

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I plan to dig out my high school year books as a starting point.
    No!!! (Running screaming ;) ).

Have some fun with it. Ask them what their hobbies are and maybe use that as an idea to get something a little different. Last weekend, I had a senior portrait shoot with a guy who loves his Mustang convertable. We went to a couple of places to shoot it, including a barely-two lane road out in the country and I laid down on the road for a different perspective (had someone watching so I wouldn't get run over!). I also used a really wide lens and shot him driving from the front passenger seat.

I'm not an expert on posing, but I do have a couple of books on it. I'll let you know what they are tonight. I try to do things a little more PJ (photojournalistic) so they're not so stiff and, well, posed looking - but knowing some basics can really help.

Thread Information