Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

GPS for my Nikon D7000

I have a job coming up taking pictures of some islands and a park and think it would probably beneficial to have each picture tagged with it's location. I know absolutely nothing about a GPS for a camera. Any suggestions for a unit, what to look for or where to get it would be great, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: GPS for my Nikon D7000

Jeff I have seen these advertised before but I have not personally used one. I geotag my pictures on Flickr. But if you want the info in the EXIF file you might try one of them. I think in Lightroom you have the ability to edit the EXIF data and add notes to it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Adapter-.../dp/B0036QRHDS
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Jeff I have seen these advertised before but I have not personally used one. I geotag my pictures on Flickr. But if you want the info in the EXIF file you might try one of them. I think in Lightroom you have the ability to edit the EXIF data and add notes to it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Adapter-.../dp/B0036QRHDS
    I looked at this one but the reviews aren't that great It is powered off the camera and doesn't work inside or if it is blocked by a tree limb or other obstacle. I am doing research myself but was hoping to get some tips or suggestions from some of the members that have used one, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeff, I asked a similar question awhile back and got some good advice from gryphonslair99 & freygr. Here's the link to that thread. Geo-Tagging Images I believe the hardware they suggest is compatible with Nikon and Canon. I haven't taken the plunge yet, so let me know how it works out for you.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0
    Jeff, I asked a similar question awhile back and got some good advice from gryphonslair99 & freygr. Here's the link to that thread. Geo-Tagging Images I believe the hardware they suggest is compatible with Nikon and Canon. I haven't taken the plunge yet, so let me know how it works out for you.
    The need for the GPS has been put on the back burner and may no longer be needed. Thanks to everyone for your input, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I looked at this one but the reviews aren't that great It is powered off the camera and doesn't work inside or if it is blocked by a tree limb or other obstacle. I am doing research myself but was hoping to get some tips or suggestions from some of the members that have used one, Jeff
    Maybe you will need it when your outside US some day

For your two worrying things, there are solutions. There are several brands GPS have internal battery, they doesn't powered off the camera. As a benefit, some of them can switch to camera power when the internal battery run out. So even in emergency, It promises to provide every photos with GPS datas.

When you go inside or some blocked areas without satellite signals, some GPS still provide GPS datas, it's called "indoor lock” function. The GPS unit can continuously provide GPS datas to photos you take after.

Thread Information