Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Large format systems...

Hello, I have been looking into large format cameras(specifically 4x5) recently and have a few questions. Essentially I started on the older Nikon F series and have just recently started shooting a Mamiya 645 Super and love it. At some point I would like to try large format as well. From what I gather, there are view cameras with a ground glass in the rear, and then field cameras... Then lenses seem to be pretty generic with their own built in shutters and what not as long as they are matched to the correct base board, and I would assume the correct length bellows for the right focal length and film size, right? If anyone knows of a website that has this sort of information, or some other way so I could get the basics down (I am completly baffeled how the tilt and shifts of bellows even get light back to the film plane) that would be really helpful, thanks.

You could try here........

I have done some large format photography, I have an old 5x4 speed graphic, which I've used in the past ( The type of camera press photographers used in the 50's & 60's).

To go into detail about shift, tilt etc, would be far too wordy, try this web site, http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Thanks, Norman

I wanted to post a link to that site this weekend but didn't have it bookmarked on my home machine. When it comes to large format photography, it is absolutely the best site.

Per Plunk - if you're really interested in trying large format, I recommend starting with press camera like Norman's Speed Graphic. They're relatively inexpensive, come with a lens, and pretty easy to get your hands on. And they'll let you try using large format without a big time and money investment. Large format photography is very, very different from 35mm and even medium format. If you think medium format is slow, wait until you try shooting large format. You get two shots per film holder, you need to focus on ground glass with a loupe, and a tripod is almost mandatory. Plus, you'll also need to load film in the film holders, and you can't carry very much large format film loaded, and ready to shoot.

On the other hand, there's nothing like a carefully made 8x10 or 11x14 print made from 4x5 film. For landscape, it's the best. I've printed 50x60 inch prints shot on 4x5 and there's so much detail. You look at the print from about 10 feet away, and then you move up and starting looking at the leaves and twigs. It's a whole other universe of photographic possibility. But, damn it's slow! I have a 6x7 and for me that's the best compromise. Large format is just too much time and effort for me - especially since I made the swtich to digital.

But I encourage you to try it. Just start out cheap and simple. There's a lot of used equipment available and who knows, it might be right for you.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Talking Hi

Hi there! I have a crown graphic that I'm selling (similar to a speed graphic) with film holders and some leftover film. I can also send some developing trays and whatever I have left for photographic paper. That would get you started and give you an inexpensive way into LF photography. It is really a lot of fun, but I have back problems and can no longer lug it up the side of mountains If you're interested, feel free to e-mail me at: mdooley@myexcel.com. I was going to put it up on ebay, but if you're interested I'd be happy to sell it to you instead. All the mechanics work on it
    Melissa Dooley
    P.S. If posts like this are not allowed here, I appologize GREATLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I wanted to post a link to that site this weekend but didn't have it bookmarked on my home machine. When it comes to large format photography, it is absolutely the best site.

Per Plunk - if you're really interested in trying large format, I recommend starting with press camera like Norman's Speed Graphic. They're relatively inexpensive, come with a lens, and pretty easy to get your hands on. And they'll let you try using large format without a big time and money investment. Large format photography is very, very different from 35mm and even medium format. If you think medium format is slow, wait until you try shooting large format. You get two shots per film holder, you need to focus on ground glass with a loupe, and a tripod is almost mandatory. Plus, you'll also need to load film in the film holders, and you can't carry very much large format film loaded, and ready to shoot.

On the other hand, there's nothing like a carefully made 8x10 or 11x14 print made from 4x5 film. For landscape, it's the best. I've printed 50x60 inch prints shot on 4x5 and there's so much detail. You look at the print from about 10 feet away, and then you move up and starting looking at the leaves and twigs. It's a whole other universe of photographic possibility. But, damn it's slow! I have a 6x7 and for me that's the best compromise. Large format is just too much time and effort for me - especially since I made the swtich to digital.

But I encourage you to try it. Just start out cheap and simple. There's a lot of used equipment available and who knows, it might be right for you.

It's ok

Melissa-
    It's no problem. The funny thing is I came to this thread to post a link to the ad you put in the classified section. I thought it was a perfect fit. Ad I guess you did, too.

So here's a link to the ad:

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks

Thanks all for the information. I'm looking into large format photography because I like to slow down when doing landscapes. That site is excellent and really helped clear some things up. I appreciate the offer Melissa but I'm not ready to make the jump just yet, thanks though.

Thread Information