Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: good camera?

good camera?

Well Im actually new to the camera's like knowing whats good 'n stuff. I use a Minolta maxxum 5, I was woundering how good of a camera is it? I like it, im pleased with the pictures but I want to know what the people who are more camera smart think of it...Thanks

~Jamie

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie87
    Well Im actually new to the camera's like knowing whats good 'n stuff. I use a Minolta maxxum 5, I was woundering how good of a camera is it? I like it, im pleased with the pictures but I want to know what the people who are more camera smart think of it...Thanks
    Excellent camera and lenses. Beware, however, in that it has no upgrade path to digital other than vague promises and rumors.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

misanthrope
    I looked at that camera when I was shopping for a new one. I liked the metering range, especially the fact that it could meter in the negative EVs. The matrix metering seems very good, and the options is has for the money are great. Unless it's a broken down jalopy, you should do very well with it.
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Lombard, huh? Darn near neighbors...

You'll do fine with the Maxxum but as Michael eluded to, you might not want to spend a lot of money on building a huge camera system with it. Some day you will probably want a digital camera body, and eventually I'm sure they'll have one. But they don't have one now, and the others do (specifically Canon and Nikon) so they'll have more experience with this. The vast majority of pros shoot one or the other.

If you don't have any intention of getting a digital camera (don't even worry about it now, it's like opening Pandora's Box) then ignore what I just said! Just shoot pictures and let your own needs dictate the equipment you use.

I have a digital camera but it's not much, but it actually does pretty well I guess, if you look under the place where u post pics and others talk about I puts some pics I took with my digital in there, none of those were taken with the maxxum.

I always cant decided what I want to use, the digital or the maxxum, I guess it kinda just depends on the mood im in.

Thread Information