Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

fstop and shutter speed not working...help!!!

Hi, got a cheap camera to start on and planning on moving up I have a Fuji s1000 camera and I am not sure what I am doing is right or not. I take pictures outdoors and I place it in the Shutter speed mode because I want to take water running. I am limited to what I can adjust the shutter speed because the automatic aperture setting will go out of range and the picture will have the wrong exposure. So I am not getting the picture that I want. Is it the camera or is it something I am not doing? I took some pictures of a moving light inside the house in low light and lowering the shutter speed and it worked fine.

Jeff

Re: fstop and shutter speed not working...help!!!

Jeff, you need to realize that there are limits to how small the aperture can go (large F-stop), so if you are trying to take your image in bright light, you will not likely get the effect you are looking for. I don't know your camera, but it is likely that if you set a shutter speed and the camera cannot automatically adjust the aperture to give a correct exposure, it won't allow you to take a picture at all. Try to shoot when the ambient light is low, or use a neutral density filter to artificially reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: fstop and shutter speed not working...help!!!

Post an example and we might be able to get an idea of what you are after.
    Ken is right. If the light is too bright for a slow shutter speed even with a small aperture, then it just won't work.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information