Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question flash on Canon Rebel 2000??

Hello all! I recently got a Canon Rebel 2000 35mm SLR that I'm starting to play around with. I've been shooting with my digital Oly C-5050 for so long that I'm completely used to it and how it works, so shooting 35mm is new for me..! Anyways, the first 12 exp test roll of film I shot came out pretty bad, only 3-4 of the shots were any good at all, most were blurred and looked like they could have used the flash (if you know what I mean by that). I read the manual to find out how to force the built-in flash, and tried doing that, but it is not working at all... The flash will go off in the little "red eye reduction" bursts right before taking the pic, but not at all when I'm taking a pic, very weird. Am I doing something wrong?? The manual states also that the flash will go off automatically in low-light situations, but it hasn't done it so far. I won the camera, new in box, so I'm not sure where I would be able to return it if I have a defective one, maybe directly to canon somehow?? Anyone have similar experiences with this camera, or is it totally user error..? ;-) I was so thrilled to start playing with this, and now I just want to keep using my digi instead of shooting roll after roll of bad pics... oh, and from everything I can figure out (via the manual) all the configurations are correct etc, I used 400speed film and were just trying different things like indoors, close ups, outdoors etc. I feel like a complete idiot having to ask something this "basic", LOL!
    Thanks in advance for any answers!

Eva

Hi!

I have the Canon Rebel Ti (2002 version?) and the Canon Digital Rebel. Both of them *occasionally* display the same behavior you described. I was shooting a wedding last December and my digital inexplicably quit flashing at the reception. Thank goodness I had my 35 mm!!!

When mine starts doing that, I usually shut it off and put it away, and the next time I use it the flash works fine. I've been unable to "force" the flash at times, and then other times the force works just fine.

I haven't looked up the problem yet because it doesn't happen enough to drive me nuts, and I too thought I was just doing something wrong. But now I think I'll google it and see if it's a common "bug".

I had thought maybe it had to do with my not using the right settings, but when the flash quits working, it quits completely, in all lighting situations.

Thanks for your post!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Frequent Lurker
    Eva,
    I have the 2000 also and have never had a problem with the built-in flash firing. To test, you can turn the dial to the automatic mode, that is the one with the green square and try to take a picture indoors where you will get a shutter speed slower than 1/90 and the flash should pop up automatically and fire when you take the picture. It isn't very powerful though. If the subject of the picture is more than about 10 feet or so away, it isn't going to light the subject very well. If it still isn't firing properly, you might try replacing the batteries. My 2000 has done some strange things when the batteries are weak. If it still doesn't work right, you might try going to a store that sells accessory flashes and see if one of those will operate properly on the hot shoe. At least this could tell you if the problem is with the flash or with the electronics in the camera.

If you take a lot of pictures that require a flash, I would definately recommend a seperate flash unit to mount on the hotshoe. I have the Canon 420ex and have been very happy with it.

Good luck,
    Terry

Hi and thank you for answering! Kelly, sorry to see that you have had problems with the same thing... I just can't figure it out! I'm contemplating getting an external flash anyways, but would still like to know why the on-camera flash isn't working/firing. Also it'll be a while before I can afford to get a decent flash, and it would be nice to be able to use the camera in the meantime, LOL! Terry, I have tried (as late as last night) to take pics inside where I *know* the flash should have gone off, and still nothing... it will fire off the little bursts that meter something (autofocus??) but will NOT go off when I press the shutter, it's very frustrating, and I don't want to keep taking crap pics trying because film/developing isn't "free" the way it is with digital. The batteries are brand new, and the flash has never fired (other than for the metering). I will try e-mailing Canon tech support and see how much they laugh at me..! LOL!
    Take care,
    Eva

what mode are you using the camera in ? it could be that your shutter speed was to high and so the flash didn't fire. it could be that the shutter blades are bent or damaged in some way so the shutter won't open all the way and this is causing the flash to not fire. it could be a problem with the flash capacitors not holding a charge, take it to a camera shop and ask an expert, advise is usually free and easier to diagnose when you can see the camera.

Hi again... well, I spoke to Canon (twice) and they both agree that the camera needs to be looked at. So, I have to send it to their facility . Whole pain-in-the-you-know-what, especially since I received the camera as a price in a photocontest and do not have any proof of purchase etc, so basically I have to send it in and hope they accept to do whatever neccessary work the camera needs under warranty (the camera is 5 weeks old...). The only thing I can do is supply the phone# to the publishing co that gave me the camera and hope it works out that way. Aaarrgghh! I've been so excited to use this, and it's just turning into a huge headache!
    Skyman, thanks for responding. I've tried all the different modes, including the "creative" ones where you need to manually force the flash. It pops up like it's supposed to, but still does not fire when shutter is pressed... Canon said to send it to the closest facility since they do not have an authorized service center here in Vegas.
    Kelly, you mihgt want to call about yours too, seems it's NOT supposed to do this..! ;-)
    Take care all, Eva

Re: flash on Canon Rebel 2000??

What is the exact problem with your camera? If you have a problem with a flash then you need to check this given post. https://www.bestcanonflash.com/how-t...n-canon-rebel/

Re: flash on Canon Rebel 2000??

I agree witI agree with the answers above, it will help you solve this problem. Thanks for sharing.

word games online

Thread Information