Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

I need a fisheye.

I am looking for a fisheye for my d40x lens 52mm. I don't want to buy an acutal fisheye lens just a screw in filter maybe but im not sure if you can get them.This is so that i could still use the auto focus feature of my lense but also have the fisheye. Because the cheapest fisheye lens for my camera is £530 which is a bit out of my price range.

Links please ?

Thanks ahead.

Callum
    Nikon D40x

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: I need a fisheye.

mc zenitar 16mm fisheye on ebay? It's honestly amazing, for the price. You don't really want to get a screw on adapter unless you want to lose image quality. the zenitar is $150, and manual focus, but it has some pretty stellar image quality. I took a shot over vacation for fun just to inspect the corner to corner sharpness, and it is much sharper in the corners than I have seen from sigma/canon/nikon's fish.

The lense fitting on that fish eye is M42 which i have no idea what that means. I need a 35mm lense will it fit ?
    Nikon D40x

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Is this what you're looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/42x-HD-Fisheye-F...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm with Brent. For an inexpensive fisheye, you really can't go wrong with the Zenitar. I have never used the "filter" type, but like most things, you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't count on a $35 filter producing great results.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by CallumW
    The lense fitting on that fish eye is M42 which i have no idea what that means. I need a 35mm lense will it fit ?

Are you talking about the Zenitar lens being an M42 mount? I think that is a Pentax mount that you are looking at. You would need one with a Nikon mount. I know there are Zenitars on ebay that list a Nikon mount, but I don't know anything about Nikon, so I don't know if they will work with your camera.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

You can get the tokina 10-17mm fisheye for about $500=251GBP. It's a great lens and is zoomable. Don't get a filter type, you won't get the same angle, will suffer vignetting and internal reflections. Go for a lens, perferably one by sigma or tokina. These will be cheaper and are pretty good quality (the tokina is great).
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    mc zenitar 16mm fisheye on ebay? It's honestly amazing, for the price. You don't really want to get a screw on adapter unless you want to lose image quality. the zenitar is $150, and manual focus, but it has some pretty stellar image quality. I took a shot over vacation for fun just to inspect the corner to corner sharpness, and it is much sharper in the corners than I have seen from sigma/canon/nikon's fish.
    But on a DSLR, Nikon it's only equivalent to a 24mm lens not a fish eye, the kit lens is 17-55mm or 17-70mm. You are forgetting that the sensor on most digital cameras are smaller than film and with Nikon that factor is 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumW
    That is the thread size needed M=Metric 42= 42mm. So to use that add on lens you will need a step down ring (if you take 52mm filters) 52mm to 42mm adaptor
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    But on a DSLR, Nikon it's only equivalent to a 24mm lens not a fish eye, the kit lens is 17-55mm or 17-70mm. You are forgetting that the sensor on most digital cameras are smaller than film and with Nikon that factor is 1.5.

with all respect, no I'm not. I use it on a canon 10d, which has a 1.6x crop factor. it's still a fisheye, just doesnt have as much distortion.

I'll have to go along with Brent and Michael. I bought a zenitar 16mm for my Canon 300D almost 3 years ago and I think it is great. At that time I paid $130 for it in a Canon mount. You can also get them in NIkon, Pentax (K), Pentax M42, and some other mounts.I got the Canon mount and wish now I had got the M42 mount as there are adaptors for a multitude of cameras. I would love to use it on my Canon F1 (film ) and now will have to buy a new one in the M42 mount. I know it has increased by now, but it is less than half the cost of Canon, Nikon, Sigma, et al and is a great lens. If you want fish eye effect, all you have to do is tilt the camera a bit, or be close to verticals, and it does a great job. I use it a lot for parties when I want to get the whole room in the photo and it really does a good job.

I think at current rate of exchange, you can get one for the Nikon for less than £150. As others said, check on ebay. you can do a search or do a search on google.

Hope this helps
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb380
    I'll have to go along with Brent and Michael. I bought a zenitar 16mm for my Canon 300D almost 3 years ago and I think it is great. At that time I paid $130 for it in a Canon mount. You can also get them in NIkon, Pentax (K), Pentax M42, and some other mounts.I got the Canon mount and wish now I had got the M42 mount as there are adaptors for a multitude of cameras. I would love to use it on my Canon F1 (film ) and now will have to buy a new one in the M42 mount. I know it has increased by now, but it is less than half the cost of Canon, Nikon, Sigma, et al and is a great lens. If you want fish eye effect, all you have to do is tilt the camera a bit, or be close to verticals, and it does a great job. I use it a lot for parties when I want to get the whole room in the photo and it really does a good job.

I think at current rate of exchange, you can get one for the Nikon for less than £150. As others said, check on ebay. you can do a search or do a search on google.

Hope this helps
    Michael

Does your lens have the actual Canon mount built right into the lens? Mine doesn't. Mine has a metal adapter that screws onto the lens, and then has the EOS mount on the other side to attach to my camera. If yours is the same, I would thing you could just screw it off, and replace it with a different mount to fit your other camera bodies.

Here is a link to a thread with some pics of my lens, with and without the Canon mount.

Fisheye lenses
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Angry Re: I need a fisheye.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Does your lens have the actual Canon mount built right into the lens? Mine doesn't. Mine has a metal adapter that screws onto the lens, and then has the EOS mount on the other side to attach to my camera. If yours is the same, I would thing you could just screw it off, and replace it with a different mount to fit your other camera bodies.

Here is a link to a thread with some pics of my lens, with and without the Canon mount.

Fisheye lenses
    Michael, Mine has the mount attached, not screwed on. There are 3 screws used around the mount to make it permanent. You can get them with M42 mounts and EOS or Nikon or some other adapters. I wish I had gotten that ( like yours ) instead of the permanent. I might be able to unscrew the screws and remove the adapter but not sure I want to go to those lengths I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy another one in a few months. I was going to ask Michael Fourman, from whom I bought it, but he seems to have sold his web site to Hartblei and I don't know anyone there. Any tips?
    Michael :mad2:

Thread Information