Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

First wedding shoot, need help

Well a friends mom is going to be getting re-married and he asked if i would be the photographer. Its not a for sure thing yet- but i have a few questions.
    1. Pay- he wants to know how much I will charge them. I wouldn't mind doing it for free- but making a few bucks isn't a bad idea. How much is it typically so i can like...cut off a lot haha.
    2. I need some ideas on some wedding shots. If you guys can post up some weddings youve done- friends have done, anything- i would greatly appreciate it.
    I guess im really nervous if i get the job- i haven't dont anything like this yet, it'll be my first time being "hired" so yeah. thanx for any help-input-advice-pics.

Re: First wedding shoot, need help

Weddings are tricky and a ton of work. I did them for a little while, but it's not for me...

If you have experience with this type of work (corporate events, etc) then unless you're providing your services as a gift, you are probably OK with charging for your work. I didn't have a lot of experience when I did my first and it was for a friend (we're still friends ). I charged a set amount but it only covered my expenses (lab, proof book, etc).

There are some really good books, info here in older threads and all over the internet about shooting weddings but nothing beats experience. How familiar are you working with flash and posing people? Those are really the two top skills you need for weddings.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

^^ agreed.

How far off is the wedding? I was asked to do my friends wedding a full year in advance. This gave me time to work on my skills. I found a local wedding and event photographer and worked him for a while. This was the best thing I did. It's one thing to read about stuff in a book or on the internet; it's a much more fulfilling thing to see it in action. The difference? The human factor. In real life you're dealing with not only equipment, technique, lighting, posing, etc... You're also dealing with people, and that is a HUGE factor to the success of your shots.

So... That's my recommendation. Find a local wedding/event photographer (a good one) and go work for them. Be their assistant or second shooter. Do it even if they don't pay you (at first), so long as you take advantage of the opportunity to learn.

take a look at these see what you thinks) and don't forget the groups shot too
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Be sure to stress the importance of everybody arriving for the shoot, on time. The first wedding I ever did was for an aunt of my wife's. Since it was my first, I requested everyone be on site 3 hours before the wedding. Nobody, including the couple, arrived more than 2 hours ahead of time. My first wedding, new Nikon, and everyone late. Needless to say, they did not get a lot of the photos they wanted. Also, many of the ones they did get, weren't that good. Then they had the gall to complain that many of the shots they wanted were not there. Duh! I did a few more weddings after that, but they just weren't for me. It's really tough to get people to cooperate. The last wedding I did, also by far the best, I actually had to yell at the bridal party to get them to cooperate.

This is why I now stick to wildlife. They don't always cooperate either but at least you can get reshoots many times. With weddings, you get one chance.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota scroller
    Be sure to stress the importance of everybody arriving for the shoot, on time.
    And have a backup plan for when they show up late. Make sure that they understand that if people are late, there might not be time to do all of the shots they want. Keeping people's attention is tough, and you need that to make everything go smooth. Like Canuck says, it's a people business.

This is why I now stick to wildlife.
    Spoken like a veteran!

I agree with scroller you only get one chance, and another view is right on about back up plan. and make sure you got a back up camera, lots of battery, memory cards, thinks and move like a ninja, quickly, quietly and swifly too. I shoot a wedding not long ago, the bride sister forgot her dress and it were late an hour and by the time they started half way through lightning the candle the darn power out. I hear someone said its would be go on anyway so I quickly change my gear out for some low lite action, well guess what, the darn power back on.

After reading the posts i dont think im anywhere near ready for this. I shoot al ot of....in-animate objects like cars, scenary, hell i think even animals are easier to capture. My friend told me the wedding will be sometime in August, my bday is on the 9th so i might go mia for a while hah. I like working with people, but weddings seem to rushy- and ugh...i think id snap and walk off haha. Anyways im going to pick up a few books on working with flash to get used to it and experiment with it. Thank you guys for all your input.

Naz, the things is you don't want to loose a friendships after he see those pic you take. it take alot to shoot a wedding, talk about doing the groups and formal shot for the wedding party with a couple hundred guess standing behind you. talk about nerve racking ehh. and if you miss an importance shots of the day, its will be all over from there. I had been there done that and I know what it felt like, if you really want to do wedding you can do it. all it take is alot of practice and a nerve of steel.
    or you can start asking around those wedding pro to shoot for free, that what I did I tagg along a couple pro for years before starting out on my own.

one more things to add, I had been learning alot from this forum though. stick around and post some question I'm sure folk up here are real friendly to help.

Well, now I am officially scared!!!

I have a wedding to do in 8 days!!!
    Ok it's my Niece's wedding but it will be my first wedding as the main photographer.

I have ALWAYS shot my own photographs at weddings, as a guest, and they have loved my shots more than the photographer's shots lol.

Anyway, I have a few shots on my site of these wedding's. My Nephew's, back in August 2004. The photographer didn't attend the reception so my shots were all they got there.
    And my sister's, back in October 2005.
    I was a guest at both weddings, only knew the basics ... get everyone in frame, don't cut off feet or heads lol ... and only had my sony cybershot DSC-P10

The last 3 shots of a cake are just that, a wedding cake. My sister makes and decorates cakes. I never shot that wedding. Those were taken with my Canon EOS 350D and 50mm f/1.8 MKII lens.

http://alisongreenwoodphotography.com/album.php?id=39

Here are a few if you can't be bothered with the link. Not bad for a P&S huh?

I read that when the photographer is a friend or a relative, the guests don't take you seriously when you are trying to direct them. Or other guests just walk in front of you to take pictures obstructing you.
    What I understood is that they would treat different somebody that charges $500 just to be there, than somebody that they know.

yeah thats what im thinking- im going to talk to my friend tonight and tell him id wrather him hire a professional. Maybe than i can talk to the guy they hire, ask them if i can go see how he works, what he chargers, maybe help him if needed for free. I'll let you know how it turns out and ill post pics if i get to snap any.

make sure you ask the photographer nicely before you start take your shot, cause some wedding pro will state it clearly on there contract that he or she be the sole and only one taking pic that day other wise the contract would be voided. and another things is don't shoot over his shoulder. watch him from a distance from step to step how he arrange people, when did he shoot, and what is he shooting at, ask yourself question why.

Quote Originally Posted by pisco
    I read that when the photographer is a friend or a relative, the guests don't take you seriously when you are trying to direct them.
    That can happen - from personal experience. But if you're confident and act like you know what you're doing (even if part of it is making it up as you go ) then they'll take notice.

It is a ton of work to shoot a wedding, and the last thing you'd want to have happen is that the couple would be unhappy with the shots. It's not worth losing a friendship. Go to the wedding, bring a camera and take some shots but stay out of the hired photographer's (if there is one) way. Watch what they do, how they do it, and how they interact with people. They're "on the clock" so probably won't have much if any time to talk, but you might ask them about the world of wedding photography while they have a little downtime (waiting for something to happen with camera in hand isn't downtime though). Some are good people, love what they do and will be glad to talk to you - these are the best ones to learn from. Just like any aspect of life, some aren't quite so friendly - just so you know.

You might want to have a look at this to get some idea of the work involved. HTH

Cheers,

WesternGuy

http://www.all-things-photography.co...aphy-tips.html

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by pisco
    I read that when the photographer is a friend or a relative, the guests don't take you seriously when you are trying to direct them. Or other guests just walk in front of you to take pictures obstructing you.
    What I understood is that they would treat different somebody that charges $500 just to be there, than somebody that they know.
    That's when you get the best of both worlds, Pisco...you shoot for a friend or relative but charge them.

My first wedding is coming up in a month. Its for a fraternity brother, and I'm not charging him because I know their financial situation (and I've known him for five years and been his roommate for two). But the bride insists on allowing her family to take pictures during the group shots. I'm trying to gently explain to her that its a pain in the ass since she also wants a million shots during that time.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    You might want to have a look at this to get some idea of the work involved. HTH

Cheers,

WesternGuy

http://www.all-things-photography.co...aphy-tips.html
    Wow! Thank you so much for that link WG. What an awesome wedding photographer!

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    But the bride insists on allowing her family to take pictures during the group shots. I'm trying to gently explain to her that its a pain in the ass since she also wants a million shots during that time.
    Good luck with that Buddy. Even if you could convince her, her family wouldn't listen anyway.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

^hah yeah actuall now that i think about it i have done a friends wedding before, i feel bad now that i forgot that haha. its just...ugh i had my lil point and shoot camera and i cant manually focus so i missed a lot of nice shots like the FIRST KISS....ugh. They were cool about it though- i beat myself up over it. anyways im talking to my friends mom about it today see how she feels. Id really wrather her hire someone.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Good luck with that Buddy. Even if you could convince her, her family wouldn't listen anyway.
    Sure they would. I would exercise that power of "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." And then if they don't listen, I will gently explain to the offenders that they would be responsible for ruining the wedding by voiding the contract I had them sign, leaving them without pictures (yes...even though it is being provided without charge, I still made them sign a contract).

Why yes...I am evil. :devil:
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I will start out by saying that there are people on this site that have forgotten more about photography than I know but I am still going to chime in with my thoughts on this.

I have taken several weddings for friends or people that cannot afford a professional and this is what I do. I start off by making sure I have a backup for each piece of equipment that I plan on using. I always ask about where the wedding and reception will be and about the lighting. I showed up once to find out it was a candle lit wedding and needed to be taken by available light. I happen to like that but if your not used to it you could have a big problem. Find out what pictures you can take during the wedding if any. I went to a wedding recently where no pictures at all were allowed during the ceremony. ALL pictures had to be taken afterward.

As far as the money I charge a flat fee. By doing this I eliminate having to take orders and make several trips. I know how much I will make up front and have a minimum amount of time invested. I also tell them that anyone that would like to take a picture AFTER I get mine is welcome to do so. By giving a set price none of these pictures will cut into what you will make and there will also be extra pictures in case something happens to yours. Many years ago after taking a wedding and the film was sent off it got lost in the mail. By allowing others to shoot they did get many pictures from other folks and it wasn't a total loss. If you are a professional and can control everything from taking the pictures to printing you are covered but I can't do that.

I know more money can be made by restricting the pictures taken and then taking orders for reprints but this seems to be the way that works best for me, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information