Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Which filter (s)

Just received Nikon D5100 please reply with filter recommendations and comments.

Have 18-55 and 55-300 lens.

Thank you ALL.
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Re: Which filter (s)

I think that depends on what you want to shoot. If you shoot primarily landscapes a three stop ND grad. I have used the Cokin system for years. Threaded filters put the edge of the graduation dead center of the filter so it's not good with the rule of thirds in mind. Although my holder is Cokin I am currently using a Singh Ray three stop soft. I just upgraded to the Z pro size so I can now use my 17-35mm all the way to 17mm without vignetting from the edge of the filter holder. I can stack up to three filters on one side or reverse it so I can shoot wide without excess holder sticking out. The Pro Z filters are wider which is needed on lenses that are 72mm filter size or larger.
    Amazon.com: cokin z pro filter holder

There are now nine and ten stop neutral density filters that can be used for extremely long exposures to catch movement in coulds and water.

Quote Originally Posted by gotrocks View Post
    Just received Nikon D5100 please reply with filter recommendations and comments.

Have 18-55 and 55-300 lens.

Thank you ALL.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I nearly always have Circular Polarizing Filters, with appropriate adapter rings in my kit. The adapter rings limit the number of filters I have to fit different lens diameters.

ND grads and ND filters which fit the 'P' holder work on my lenses up to 62mm diameter.

For Black and White shots, either digital of film, yellow and red filters can make dramatic changes in contrast.

And so much more to explore

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Greg & Phil,
    Sorry I did not reply sooner, just got back home from cataract check up.

Dr. said looking good. Don't need any filters, YET. ;-)

I should have stated my main interest is in outdoor birds and wildlife.

Thank you your info. My budget does not fit the price range for the holders& filters and my photographic knowledge does not comprehend the HIGH end multiple filter combos.

Just want as simple as can be, UV - polarizing - or ???

Thanks again.
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Simple is not bad . A lot of photographers like to keep a UV or 1A filter on their lens to protect the front element. I keep a 1a on the lenses I use when hiking around for wildlife etc. I usually keep the lens cap on too, but have lost a few of them, so I have both until I am ready to shoot. Sometimes I remove the filter hoping for a little better sharpness or something.

A circular polarizer is a must in my kit. I have 3 sizes, 55mm, 62mm and 86mm. Most of my minolta lenses are 55mm diameter. Some are 49mm. A set of filter reduction adapter rings allows me to use those sizes on all my lenses, and my wife's canon lenses too.

Thea is about as simple as it gets.

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Thread Information