Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Stupid Vivitar Hot Shoe...grumble...

It happened already. I got a Vivitar 283 and the hot shoe broke on my second shoot! (It was used so I can't call Vivitar). Should I replace it with a metal hot shoe or a plastic shoe? What's the good word ya'll?! -Justin

That's a common problem - I used to have a 285 but either no one had a metal foot for it or I wasn't aware of it at the time (years ago). I use Nikon SB28's now and they can have the same problem although it hasn't happened to me (yet?).

Obviously, if you go to a metal foot it won't break as easily. But eventually something will, maybe you will do serious damage to the flash or camera which could be very expensive. I know Nikon went to metal for their newer flashes. I've seen a replacement metal foot on ebay for 283/285's and they say that they can be user-installed. If you don't have a warranty, I'd probably try to find a replacement plastic one (or two for a spare) and fix it myself. If you've never used a soldering iron, you may want to take it somewhere though.

Bad luck...

as I've read about this happening. I guess it's just a bad break rather than a design flaw...I've used a 285HV for 8 years without a glitch. If you do some research, I know that a metal shoe on the Vivitars works well, and the 283 is an excellent flash worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by JKeena
    It happened already. I got a Vivitar 283 and the hot shoe broke on my second shoot! (It was used so I can't call Vivitar). Should I replace it with a metal hot shoe or a plastic shoe? What's the good word ya'll?! -Justin

Thread Information